+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Clogged pre-filter on a CDL vacuum filter

Do you have a gauge for the vacuum pressure? I would think your going to need to fix the leak.
    Seems like one pass should get it clear.
    Is there a lid on this? Sorry just not familiar with these units yet.
    Sugarsand looks dark and thick.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    You may not be getting a good seal. I know that my home built unit does the same thing UNLESS I have a good seal then the syrup goes through really quick.
    The seal on these looks pretty good. It's a thick rubber ring and there are 3 clamps to make the seal. I have a pin hole in one of the welds but for now I put a piece of electrical tape over it.
    The other possible culprit might be the Tomlinson spigot valve I have on it. I don't know how much pressure it can handle. Maybe the shop vac is sucking air up through it rather than through the filter. I'll test that.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

More trial and error today with 2 batches. First off, I don't think the Tomlinson valve is the culprit. When I put a lid over the top, there is quite a bit of suction holding it on. It actually takes a concerted effort to lift it off, my estimate is 5lbs of force. I wish these had a vacuum port, that would answer the big question.

First batch today had zero DE, and it all passed through the filter with no problem whatsoever. It was amazing, just like on TV. But the syrup started off slightly cloudy and now has bigger floating clumps. I probably filtered it at 219* since I didn't stir in DE giving it time to cool.

Second batch was 5 quarts and since I was impressed with the vacuum power of the first batch, I added 1 cup of DE. Huge mistake. The prefilters clog instantly, and layering them only gets a few more ounces through. The syrup is very cloudy. I think the DE is making it through the filters.

The big variable in all my batches is the amount of DE. I am wondering if the stuff I have is too fine of a dust and it clogs the pores in the filters.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumino-Wellne.../dp/B00FRVNH8Y
    Lumino Wellness Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for Pets & People 9 Oz

Product description
    Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for Pets & People 9 oz Powder

Lumino Diatomaceous Earth For Pets and People is an alternative to toxic chemicals, it is chemical free and safe around people and pets. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for radiant beauty, increased energy, and healthy rejuvenation.

Ingredients
    100% Pure fresh water Diatomaceous Earth, mined naturally milled and bagged in the United States. It is unheated amorphous (non-crystalline) silicon dioxide.

For Pets
    Mix a handful of DE with kitty litter. Deodorizes and absorbs moisture. DE is odorless so it will not deter cats from using the box. Lightly dust pets' bedding. DE will absorb oils, dirt and smells. Keep kennel areas dry and odor-free. FDA has allowed DE for agricultural use since the 1960s. Numerous studies have shown feeding DE results in improved animal health and growth. The recommended amount is 2% dry weight. If mixed with water use one teaspoon with two cups of water. Lumino DE is neutral tasting. It is added to both agricultural and human grains to keep them dry and prevent disintegration. Backyard chickens love DE. It keeps their coops cleaner, drier and odor free.

For People
    Use as a natural deodorizer for garbage cans, vacuum cleaner bags and refrigerator. Polish silver and jewelry by mixing DE in water to form a paste. Apply, then remove with a dry cloth. For a facial mask mix DE with water or oil to make a paste. Apply in a circular motion. Leave on for five minutes, then wash off with warm water. Sprinkle a small amount of DE on toothpaste for a vigorous tooth polishing.

Warnings: Keep out of reach of children. As with all dietary supplements, consult your healthcare professional before use.
    See product label for more information.
    Do not inhale. Dust may cause eye and respiratory irritation.
    Last edited by jdircksen; 02-14-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

I will guarantee it is the DE that is your problem. Buy DE from a maple supply store that is used for maple filtering. I like to save money and the ease of ordering on amazon is a good option for most things, but ordering DE for you filtering maple is not a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throw that batch away and try again with the correct DE.

I wouldn't throw out what you have done but the DE is the culprit. I would think that the proper DE will filter out the other DE. Your filters may not clean out and you may need to use new ones.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

As others have said, your DE is the problem. It is probably ground too fine. You should be able to re-filter the syrup by heating it up and using maple grade DE. If you don’t want to buy a 50 pound bag, find a producer near you who uses it and see if you can buy 5-10 pounds off them. It’s not that expensive, 50 lb bag at Bascoms’s is only $28. You will be amazed at how the vacuum filter works using the correct DE.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

De comes in several particle sizes as well as food grade and non food grade. You must use one made for maple syrup, while it comes in a 40# bag, you should be able to buy a small amount (like 1-2 gal container or so) from a larger producer. If you keep it dry it will keep for years but if you only need 20-30 cups a year you don't want a big bag. You can also try The Maple Guys, they used to sell a small bag.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Are you using DE with filter paper or woven synthetic filters? I've tried both with my homemade vacuum filter, and filter paper seems to work better. Filtering with DE using synthetic woven filters seems to clog sooner. I buy large filter papers and cut them to size for mine.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Thanks everyone. I am going to refilter this batch. I hope it can be saved because it's my biggest one of the season. Hopefully the maple DE will somehow attach to the stuff I used, because it hasn't separated from the syrup at all.

The stuff I bought was the food grade DE that could be found locally and it was in a manageable quantity. I just bought a 50lb pound bag from a maple dealer, so I'll give it a try. It should last me about 50 years
    Last edited by jdircksen; 02-14-2020 at 12:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast