+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tubing Installation Pace

Default Tubing Installation Pace

Installed 80 taps on new tubing today, was averaging around 6 minutes per a tap. With nothing to compare this to, I can’t decide if this is on pace or slow.

What is everyone’s pace for installing and tapping new tubing systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of that will relate to the terrain and maple tree density you are tapping.
    While I never timed it, I think I have likely done from 4-5 minutes per tap, up to maybe 15-20 minutes per tap. This should be fun, not a race, unless you have thousands of taps to do. Other factors like mainlines, fittings, are you on all 5/16 or doing 3/16 with good slope will greatly affect the time/tap.
    I suggest you concentrate more on doing it well and drilling the tap holes correctly rather than how fast it goes. 80 taps that have several leakers is worse than 40 with no mistakes.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I agree... for me it's more about the enjoyment of being outside... I can easily say that some of my taps take me 20 minutes or longer... then I shake my head, open my eyes and stand up... sometimes I just get lost thinking about absolutely nothing other than loving the outdoors.. I can sit out in the woods for hours and accomplish nothing.. LOL
    2019 290 taps on 3/16"
    2018 20 taps on milk jugs
    2017 10 taps on milk jugs

Are you talking about installing drops as well or just spouts? As far as tapping, I've done 100 an hour before or as low as 20, depending on the snowshoeing conditions. We always have 3-4 ft. of snow depth, but some years there's no bottom to it and you sink down 2 ft. with every step. Last year was one of those.

I installed around 300 taps and over 3000 feet of 3/16" this weekend in around 12 hours. Had a little help from a friend for a few hours of that. Fun time. Sore today!
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I agree, it’s great being in the woods. But I’m sure there are others out there also find joy in finding the most efficient way to do a repetitive task (like tapping). This was setting up a new small bush with about 140 on a shurflo, so not a large scale 1000 tap operation by any means.

I stretched 5000 feet of 5/16" tubing a couple weekends ago in about 6 hours. My brother cut in 260 droplines and installed the saddles working behind me in that same timeframe. You are better to do it right than try to be too quick and cut corners or make mistakes.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiMappleMan View Post
    I agree, it’s great being in the woods. But I’m sure there are others out there also find joy in finding the most efficient way to do a repetitive task (like tapping). This was setting up a new small bush with about 140 on a shurflo, so not a large scale 1000 tap operation by any means.

well, if that's what's important to you... here's my stats..

Last year.. .I tapped 200 trees in 120 minutes... so roughly 30 seconds / tap.
    cutting in drops... did 200 in about 4 hours... so about 1.2 minutes each... and that includes walking time...

and of course... about 30% leaked.. but hey... sure beat the socks off you in a race... :P
    2019 290 taps on 3/16"
    2018 20 taps on milk jugs
    2017 10 taps on milk jugs

+ Reply to Thread