+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped SouthWest MI

Default Tapped SouthWest MI

Tapped 80 today, more to do tomorrow. Flowing well, on a run of 23 there was a steady stream coming out. Anyone else? Saw people talking about mid-February, but everything I see shows the next month of constant beautiful days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Have been discussing tapping our trees at our middle school sugar shack. We are in Genesee county near the thumb, don’t want to jump too quick.

I tapped 9 trees Saturday afternoon and all are flowing but only getting 1/2-3/4 gallons per tap in 36 hours versus my good flow rate of 2.5 gallons during peak flow . I did check the buckets about 3 hours ago and saw the flow may have increased slightly but wont know until tonight. This is about 8 miles east of Grand Rapids near Ada and these 9 trees are low elevation so usually slower to flow than my trees on hills with sunlight. Going to hold off tapping more unless the flow suddenly increases which i would then probably add 11 more but wont add any more than that until normal season for my remaining 40-60 taps just to be safe. Never know the rest of the winter could turn out being excellent just feels too early.
    2017 First year late start 18 taps. Produced 2 gallons syrup. Hooked for life.
    2018 2nd Year early start 26 taps In Jan increased to 86 taps March. Upgraded outdoor boiler concrete block & 2 20"x30"x5" Stainless pans. Swimming in sap this March! 100% disconnected all taps 3-27-18. Syrup produced 15 gallons!
    2019 Season late to start only a week before spring break. Season total syrup 1.5 gallons. Enjoyed every drop.
    2023 2/10/23 8 taps producing 1-1.5gal/24hrs.

I'm on buckets in extreme s.e. Michigan an I am waiting till the last 2 weeks of February to tap. If your on vac go ahead and tap. I think there will at least be a week or two of winter sometime in February.

I’m in the wait for February to shake out some before I tap anything. Even its just a week or two, once that comes and then breaks I’m all in. I just don’t feel like tapping any now and trying to concentrate on sap just yet, it already takes all my free time from late February until the end of March or into April as it is-I don’t need the distraction now-too much else to do currently.

I’m in the St Joseph area. Between tapping on Sunday at 6pm and Monday at noon I had 50 gallons in the tank on those 80 taps. Good flow coming out of the tubes on just 30 ft of drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Channel 8 says very cold after this weekend,we will see.
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

I put in 3 as a test yesterday to see how things are progressing. 29F last night and into the mid 40’s today with sun so today should show. Not really expecting to go full bore until about February 20th, when I have time and no travel plans to process.

ETA on Tuesday after tapping Saturday. A bare dribble from each of the 3, a couple ounces at most. No rush to tap the rest soon.
    Last edited by Balrog006; 02-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread