+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing the Efficiency of My 2x6 Arch By 80%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRenaud View Post
    << This is my first time posting photos, so I apologize that they seem to be uploaded upside down. Not quite sure how to fix this, so please bear with me. >>

Attachment 20601Attachment 20602

My arch supports a 2-part finishing pan and a dropped flute evaporator. I raised the arch under the evaporator using a 45' slope and created a 1" deep channel under the pans with a cyclone cavity about mid-pan.

Attachment 20603Attachment 20604

I also added a flue damper and a chimney pressure & air temperature monitoring mechanism.

I haven't used this new configuration yet to make syrup, but my tests on boiling water show an 80% improvement in wood burning efficiency. Looking forward to seeing what difference this will make this spring!

Paul
    I'm curious to know how this worked out for you this season. I'm looking to change my evaporator to use more of the wasted heat that goes up the stack.

I have an evaporator from Thor (quebec mfg). it's a 30" x 8' raised flue (7" flues). the part of the arch that is under the flue pan is just like you have made. however being an 8' long arch, there are two ramps and drop offs. that rig boils awesome (was getting a consistent 60 gph and got up to 67 pushing it... stock, bare bones rig). however, it also eats wood! i dont' have anything to compare it to, but it was not easy on my wood pile this year. i'm sure if it was air tight, and had aof it'd be a lot more efficient!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Good Job PaulRenaud ... Good to try new things and make improvements......
    Looking forward to seeing your results next year.
    In the HVAC industry they are making furnaces and boilers that exhaust through plastic pipes.
    I think we are a little bit old-school, yet. keeping the chainsaw industry in business...
    Lots of room for improvement...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12