+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Guidance

Default Need Some Guidance

Well my season has started. I have all of my laterals run and the pump was on today!!

A few questions moving forward:
    1. When I tapped a few trees and put in the spouts. The didn’t seem to seal up. This is the first time using clear CDL plastic signature spouts. I put them in lightly at first. Leaked sap, then seated them a little deeper and they still seeped. I used a 5/16 CDL tapping bit. Will they seal up around the spout? If not, what do I do? Never seemed to have that problem with the stainless spout.

2. I am going to add a re-circ line tomorrow. I was like 7 psi at the pump and 10 psi out at the end of the line. I watched the sap flowing through the lines. Is it normal to flow fast, then slow, stop, start to move again etc? Never even saw tubing in person until today!!

3. Where should I mount my temp probe? I have an Inkbird 308 WiFi mounted in my sugar shack. It’s on the shaded side of the sugar shack. Today the temp hit 37 outside but in the shack it was reading only 30. Should I move the probe out through the wall, even if on shaded side or keep indoors?

That’s all for now. I have a good feeling about my setup. Anxious to see how it performs this season! Goof luck to all and thanks in advance for any help!!
    2018 - 8 Taps on Buckets - homemade 2x2 pan and wood arch - 1.25 gallons
    2019 - 30 Taps on Buckets - new Sugarhouse , 2x4 divides pan and homebuilt
    evaporator! - 3.5 gallons
    2020 - planning 50 Taps on 3/16 tubing with shurflo vacuum

As far as a leaking spout, is sap getting the bark wet or are you seeing air getting pulled in? Wet bark should not be a problem, if sucking in air you may need to reseat the tap but do not pound in too much.

The line should not surge, you are sucking in air somewhere or it is not pitched right at the pump.

Temp probe should be outside in the shade.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by HondoLane View Post
    1. When I tapped a few trees and put in the spouts. The didn’t seem to seal up. This is the first time using clear CDL plastic signature spouts. I put them in lightly at first. Leaked sap, then seated them a little deeper and they still seeped. I used a 5/16 CDL tapping bit. Will they seal up around the spout? If not, what do I do? Never seemed to have that problem with the stainless spout.
    Some weeping of sap for a short time (a few days) is normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EybQ...5&index=3&t=0s
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Great video. Checked weeping trees today and they seem to be sealing up.

Installed a 4 diaphragm 12v seaflo pump today. It is definitely a lot quieter than the 2088 3 diaphragm 115vac pump I initially tried. I’m pulling 10-15 at the pump. Is that we’re I should be at the pump? Right now there are 2 runs coming in. There is 27 on one lateral and 15 on the second one. I noticed the lateral with the more trees is moving slower than the other. What would cause this?

I still have more trees to add to the lateral with the 15 trees.

Quote Originally Posted by HondoLane View Post
    Well my season has started. I have all of my laterals run and the pump was on today!!

When I first started taping four years ago I had this problem and somebody on this site informed me that I needed to be careful to drill my tap hole straight into the tree.

From then on I was careful and have rarely even gotten much weeping and never again any leaking around the outside of spouts.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Did you watch Dr Tim's video? It is spot on. One point I'd like to make is the "tapping hammer". That if not an official tapping hammer should be rather light, not a carpenter's hammer. I have used the flat jaw on a pair of 7" lineman's pliers for years, with great success. I use them to set the taps, but on some of my mainlines I have some 14 ga. wire side ties, the pliers do well with that too. My oldest mains all had wire side ties but I gradualle started using the plastic flat strap formed like a flat strap with link cut outs, often used for nursery tree support. As I had fewer and fewer wire side ties I still used the lineman's pliers because they did not hit the tap too hard.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    One point I'd like to make is the "tapping hammer". That if not an official tapping hammer should be rather light, not a carpenter's hammer.
    Actually, the hammers used were either a regular tapping hammer or a combo hammer/spout puller. We do not use framing hammers for tapping.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have like 1 pound ball pean that I can tap lightly.

I have a question about re-circ line. I’m awaiting a needle valve via amazon. Right now I have a ball valve to restrict flow from a 3/16 line. I can get the vacuum at the pump up to 20 but it seems to be up and down and I have to keep playing with the feed. Will a needle valve solve this? Should the re-circle be set and forget?

+ Reply to Thread