+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131424 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ontario 2020

Hey Folks,
    I've got a small 4x2 continuous flow pan that I use on top of my barrel burner....I typically have been doing batch boils, but really want to leverage the continuous flow part of it and looking for suggestions....

1. Should the draw off tap be at the front of the barrel where it's cooler or at the back where it typically runs hotter?
    2. How often should I be boiling to keep the nearup from getting skunky, is weekends often enough or should I draw off when done, store and put back in come the next weekend?
    3. I use a small tin prewarmer so wondering if I should go larger to a hotel pan or as long as the sap is warmed a bit, am I good...?

I've been bombing around the forum getting info but don't see any commentary on these details....

Turkey John

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyJohn View Post
    Hey Folks,
    I've got a small 4x2 continuous flow pan that I use on top of my barrel burner....I typically have been doing batch boils, but really want to leverage the continuous flow part of it and looking for suggestions....

1. Should the draw off tap be at the front of the barrel where it's cooler or at the back where it typically runs hotter?
    2. How often should I be boiling to keep the nearup from getting skunky, is weekends often enough or should I draw off when done, store and put back in come the next weekend?
    3. I use a small tin prewarmer so wondering if I should go larger to a hotel pan or as long as the sap is warmed a bit, am I good...?

I've been bombing around the forum getting info but don't see any commentary on these details....

Turkey John
    1) As long as your pan boils at the front, it's usually preferred to have the draw off at the front where it is slightly cooler, as that gives you more control and makes for less "emergencies"
    2) it all depends on temperatures. If it is going to be warm - you don't want to leave your pans full for more than a couple of days. Early in the season (like now) if the sweet freezes, you can leave it as long as it stays frozen with no concerns. Better to be happy than sad so if in doubt, drain and freeze / refrigerate / bury in snowbank.
    3) Any additional heat you capture from the steam is heat that doesn't need to be added later. Every bit helps. Just be careful with your placement so condensation on the outside of the warming tray does not drip back into your pan.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    1) As long as your pan boils at the front, it's usually preferred to have the draw off at the front where it is slightly cooler, as that gives you more control and makes for less "emergencies"
    2) it all depends on temperatures. If it is going to be warm - you don't want to leave your pans full for more than a couple of days. Early in the season (like now) if the sweet freezes, you can leave it as long as it stays frozen with no concerns. Better to be happy than sad so if in doubt, drain and freeze / refrigerate / bury in snowbank.
    3) Any additional heat you capture from the steam is heat that doesn't need to be added later. Every bit helps. Just be careful with your placement so condensation on the outside of the warming tray does not drip back into your pan.
    Great info Eddy, have been messing with this for a few years and got the new pan last year, but didn't work quite like I wanted it too....thanks again...

Is a couple days run on the ground usually enough to clean the lines? Last year was my first on 3/16. Tapped yesterday am hoping the run yesterday & today would be enough to have lines clean for (hopefully) next week's run. Do you replace all your taps each year? I didn't for the ones that seemed in good shape and still had alcohol in the drops.
    Thanks in advance, I've been lurking here for a couple of years now and you've all been such a great source of info!
    2024 200 taps & a rebuilt arch and 2x8 raised flu evaporator
    2020-23 85-167 taps shared with a neighbour
    2019 41 taps on 3/16 line, 2x6 oil tank evaporator
    2018 10 buckets, neighbour's homemade 2x3 arch

Weather forecast for northern side of Lanark county looks promising this coming week, but the week following looks touch and go for daytime freezing. Seeing mixed forecasts from different weather providers.

The big local producers on evaporators have already tapped, but I'm on buckets so I usually wait a week or so before I tap.
    So guess I'll be tapping on Monday.

Has anyone measured the Brix levels yet to compare to last year?
    Eastern Ontario (Lanark Highlands)
    http://www.espritdanslaforet.ca or http://www.spiritintheforest.ca

Canada's First Provably Net Zero GHG Emissions Maple Syrup Producer
    Waterloo 18" x 5' wood fired evaporator

2022 - 121 taps on gravity lines, 1150 L online + 600 L offline storage
    2021 - 92 taps on buckets & gravity lines, 750 L storage
    2020 - 75 taps on buckets, 750 L storage
    2019 - 34 taps, 400 L storage
    2018 - 12 taps, 100 L storage

I'm just east of London, I tested my sap between 1.8-2.2 I knew it would be as good as last year were my avg the whole season was 3.5.
    2017 45 taps 43L
    2018 55 taps 50L
    2019 60 taps ~75L avg sugar 3.3%
    2020 60 taps 70L
    2021 60 taps cant remember
    2022 60 taps 95L
    2023 60 taps 75L New baby came day off boiling started, gave away 1200L of 3% didn't have time.

Got 200 tapped after work today then it got too dark. Fixed some damaged drops and lines also. Nice to not have too much snow in the Bush. First time I’ve ever tapped in the pouring rain though. Then when I was done it stopped raining. Of course.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Got another 240 or so tapped this morning between bus runs before it started to rain,should hopefully finish tapping second bush tomorrow morning. Found two destroyed drop lines,had just been through the bush last week making repairs. Little buggers have gone into hiding now that I have the pellet gun at the sugar house,before that they used to chatter at me from the walls and roof when I walked by
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I managed to get almost all my 400 taps in on Sunday. Put the last few in yesterday and fired up the vacuum pump. I spent most of the afternoon fixing leaks and sags. Let it run on the ground for a couple hours to flush the lines and then started collecting. Tank was 3/4 full by 9 last night when I shut down the pump. Spent most of the evening getting things setup and cleaned up in the sugar house. So I think I’m almost ready to go! Probably do my first boil Wednesday afternoon.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Hey Wisers, I should be tapping this coming weekend. My bush maples should go well but the big ones always take much longer to start.

BUT....I have to finish up the reno project I foolishly undertook thinking I could get it done in 1 week...welllet's just say this'll learn me to not go tackle a 600sq ft popcorn ceiling removal/sanding/mudding/painting going into sugaring season ever again!!! Just finishing drinking rocket fuel now so I van get up there and hack away at the remaining 200sq ft or so. I may have a very short season this year.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131424 ... LastLast