+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ontario 2020

Hybrid View

I will be tapping Saturday here in n Addison. Should be enough to flush the alcohol out with a little help from VAC. then heading for a freeze late next week. Also a good time to check for leaks. I think it’s worth the effort and be ready to go when she flows. Good luck !
    Powered by oil fired 3X8 Lapierre cooker
    1478 taps
    330 GPH RO
    H20 Auto Drawoff
    10" cdl Filter Press
    2 adult kids
    Dog
    "memories of the old way"
    Kioti CK27
    Www.halladaymaple.ca

Weather forecast are as reliable as the weather it seams. Was going to tap this weekend but think I will hold off now. Long range forecast has changed again. Looks like after a brief warmup next week it’s back below freezing for the next couple weeks. If it changes again, which it likely will, I’m ready to go. With only 400 taps to put in I can do that in a few hours. Don’t want to jump the gun. I’m actually good if it does hold off a couple more weeks as I still waiting for the steam hood for my new evaporator. Cheers to a good season
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I took the time on Monday to snowblow my access trail - about 300m of it at least - so we can get into the woods when needed.
    Other than that - all I need is 30 mins warning and we could be off to the woods. I'll look at the forecast again come Saturday and consider. I look for 7 of 14 "good sap days" in the long term forecast to get started.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

How did the workshop go in Campbellford a couple weeks ago Big Eddy?
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    How did the workshop go in Campbellford a couple weeks ago Big Eddy?
    I wasn't actually there - we went up to Ottawa for the weekend to visit the grandkid.
    But last Saturday I attended the Quinte Chapter of OMSPAs official first tapping ceremony at Bata Maples in Frankford, and spoke with the organizers. Everyone said it was well received.

Hastings Stewardship Council also had a "History of Maple Sugaring" talk last Thursday in Ivanhoe. Apologies for not getting the announcement for that on here. It too was well received.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Installed my 50 spiles by 12:16 yesterday. Collected 56.89L of sap around 18:00 yesterday. Took a peek this morning around 08:30 at a few buckets and there's likely at least that much again right now and they're slowly dripping. It's nice to see things slowly springing to life for at least a day or two. Happy sugarin'!!!
    50 trees, 1 spile per tree
    homemade outdoor fire box crudely made from concrete slabs
    5 steamer trays as pans

We got fully tapped on the weekend and got the releasers out into the woods plus all the tanks washed. There was still a strong alcohol smell from what was running in late day yesterday, plus with how cold it's getting later this week we'll let today's sap clean the lines and run onto the ground.

Have to say... I almost enjoyed tapping without snowshoes and no crust in the snowpack!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Is a couple days run on the ground usually enough to clean the lines? Last year was my first on 3/16. Tapped yesterday am hoping the run yesterday & today would be enough to have lines clean for (hopefully) next week's run. Do you replace all your taps each year? I didn't for the ones that seemed in good shape and still had alcohol in the drops.
    Thanks in advance, I've been lurking here for a couple of years now and you've all been such a great source of info!
    2024 200 taps & a rebuilt arch and 2x8 raised flu evaporator
    2020-23 85-167 taps shared with a neighbour
    2019 41 taps on 3/16 line, 2x6 oil tank evaporator
    2018 10 buckets, neighbour's homemade 2x3 arch

Got 87 Gallons from 137 pails yesterday. .64 gallons per pail is a pretty good rate for my trees. Didn't freeze overnight by the St. Lawrence though. Won't be much today likely.
    2018 - 65 taps - 494G Sap - 11.6G Finished Syrup (flat pan w. converted oil tank stove).
    2019 - 100 taps - 514G Sap - 19.2G Finished Syrup (flat pan w. converted oil tank stove).
    2020 - 137 taps - 735G Sap - 20G Finished Syrup (Continuous flow pan).
    2021 - 126 taps - 288G Sap - 8.45G Finished Syrup (Continuous flow pan).
    2022 - 120 taps - 811G Sap - 21 G Finished Syrup (Continuous flow pan).
    2023 -

Got 18 taps in yesterday morning, hoping to do a total of 20 this year just ran out of time to do the last 2!
    What a beautiful morning it was, most were dripping fairly steady by 9:30am.
    Today I hope to get a new (larger) gravity tank installed and a few small mods to the evaporator.
    2022 - 21 taps: 470 litres of sap / 15.75 litres of syrup (stopped season short)
    2021 - took the season off
    2020 - 20 taps: 524 litres of sap / 18.75 litres of syrup
    2019 - 14 taps: 416 litres of sap / 15.25 litres of syrup
    2018 - 9 taps (309 litres) + a generous neighbour (114 litres): 423 litres of sap / 14.5 litres of syrup
    2017 - 4 taps: 55 litres of sap / 1.5 litres of syrup (just enough to get us hooked)

www.fort-wisers.ca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast