+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another oil tank evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Daniel, while your fabricating put a channel for a drain at one end of those flues. You'll be glad you did.
    My end panels will give me the channel for the ends, it will be 2" wide at both ends.
    I have a buddy with a welding shop who offered to weld it up for me in trade for supplying the stainless and bending him a bottom for his pan for next year. I was going to weld them myself but I have no experience with TIG welding.
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    Very nicely done. I wish my oil tank looked that nice.

Do you plan on adding any forced draft to the firebox? You may find you need a little more heat to your fire to get the back of your rig to solid boil.

What are your plans for pre-heating sap?
    This year forced draft is out of the question. I have no power in my shack where it sits, but we are planning to relocate it, or build a better, more permanent building later this year. I know I will suffer in my boiling capacity, but it is what it is for now.
    For preheating, I am going to see about wrapping some copper around the stack if I have the time this year.
    The plan for tomorrow is to drop off my flue pan to my buddy to weld it up, then bend up my float box and syrup pan. I will probably weld those up myself, where they arent going to be so complicated.
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

I am still waiting on my.flue pan to be finished, my welder buddy has been busy, and hasn't had the chance to finish welding it up, so I made due with what I had.
    I welded my syrup pan myself, it was my first go at TIG welding, so it isnt pretty, but is doesnt leak. I had to out in a couple of steam pans in the back to fill up the arch, and got boiling today finally. My first run of sap has yielded me about 30-35 galling of 2.5% sap, so I should have it boiled town by later this evening.20200225_145404.jpg

Got my pans all together, and added my float boxes today. I have about 30 gallons stored from sunday, now I just wait for tomorrow's run and hope I have enough to fire up and try to start a gradient. 20200302_164228.jpg

Pay no attention to the appearance of the arch being badly out of level. The building isn't. Arch is.

Looking Good!!
    Nothing better than the first steam off your self-built evaporator.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Man good looking rig.