+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holding up lines with a small nail - Bad Idea

Default Holding up lines with a small nail - Bad Idea

Hi All,

First year on tubing. I have lines up and have worked out level/slope.
    I will remove the system each year and then reinstall in the same locations.
    I'm curious if it is a bad idea to hammer in a small nail to the tree to both hold up the lines but also mark where/which trees the lines get routed through...

Thoughts?

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

i'm no expert, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. after the first year the nail is in the tree, the wound would heal up. many larger producers near me use a small nail driven though a scrap piece of tubing where their main lines go around trees to give the line some sort of hold on the tree.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Bryan,
    I would NOT use a nail to do as you are asking. I did that on a few trees when I first put up tubing and found that it "injures" the tree in the area of the nail. As a result, you have to treat that area like it is an old tap hole. An alternative to doing that would be to paint a small horizontal stripe on the tree where your tubing is located. You could simply move the tubing up or down a couple inches and then paint the mark. After you are done doing this for the entire line, move the tubing back on top of the line. There are several colors of tree marking paint available that last several years.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Bad idea for several reasons. First, there are simpler ways of marking (as already suggested) and simple ways of maintaining level without nails. Secondly, it does create a wound, although small. Third...at some point you may cut down trees -- hitting a nail isn't a good thing. Fourth...no mill will likely want to buy any wood if you've put nails in them.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

When I was IDing maple trees 3 years ago I used line paint (the stuff for marking ball fields and such) and I can still see those marks today. Very easy to carry a can with you into the woods.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

As mentioned try to avoid nails. Tighten the tubing with end ties and or side ties. i had similar issue till I got it figured out a method to keep the lines tight. I actually use some black spray paint above and below the line to mark the elevation. Also use the drops to hold the line in position too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread