+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding dividers to a 2x5 pan.

Default Adding dividers to a 2x5 pan.

I recently had an oil tank evaporator and homemade 2x5 pan given to me. I've ordered some stainless to add in dividers to update the flat pan to continuous flow. The pan is 16G stainless and has seen some use (Warped). I'm planning to get a new pan within the next few years so I'm trying to do this as cost effective as possible. Can I just solder these in with silver solder / flux/ torch or do they have to be spot welded in with a tig welder and then sealed with solder?
    I have someone who is willing to work with me to get it cleaned, adjusted and spot weld the dividers in, however it'd cost me a few hundred dollars.
    I have searched the forums, however I have not found the answers i'm looking for, what I do know is...
    • An iron is better than a torch (If I can find one)
    • Use silver solder
    • Clean VERY well
    • Use stainless specific liquid flux
    Thanks, Craig

Tig would be best, and to solder that you're going to have to get the area to be soldered super clean. You don't really need to be concerned with getting a complete liquid tight seal between the compartments. Some commercial pans are just spot welded. Eventually you'll get enough sugar/niter build up in any open space to seal it tight.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

The thought is right the doing is hard.
    Getting the pans flat and then clean is a tough after syrup has been made in them. If you can tig the dividers in that would be best. I would try to make them as tight as possible. If you dont your going to have syrup moving under the partitions. and it defeates the purpose. On smaller flat pans like this continuous flow is a challenge , in my opinion. Have you thought about just trying it for the first season and do batches? I made 4 gallon batches for years in a 2 x 3 pan. Just keep adding sap and Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Craig,
    Another thought is to buy a RO bucket RO and let the RO get rid of the water then boil the concentrate in your current set up. When it is syrup, you are done without waiting for the syrup to go around those dividers and pumping more sap into your system. Not sure of your tap numbers but it might work for you.
    Doc Beneke

Doc - great idea, I’ve actually started gathering parts to build one. It looks like next season will be the launch of that .

Chris - Thanks for the suggestions. I have a close friend that’s a professional welder who seems to think with some time and energy we can make it happen. I’m always looking for a challenge so I figured why not. Batch pan are nice but I’ve been spoiled the past few with continuous flow on our barrel evaporator and I’m not sure I want to go back.

craig,
    It sounds like you can make it happen. Good plan, good welder. You will be fine. Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread