+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tucker County

yee haw! looks like the start of the season is coming. tapped 150 today in 2' of snow which was a heck of a chore even with snowshoes and almost knee deep. IMG_4458.jpg
    It's been in the teens for a few days and -2 last night, but today was sunny and 33, and some of the smaller trees started to drip right away! calling for more tomorrow but then tues-thursday looks like a good run! Tapping another location tuesday, and also getting sap from a local farm that started tapping again.

I'm east of you, I hung about 130 buckets earlier this month, they were dripping hard today, started in earnest getting my lines tapped in. Switched on the vacuum pump for the first time this season just about dark, it dumped twice, I was so excited I didn't want to leave it alone to work! It looks like perfect weather for the next two weeks....maybe a little warm for some, but i'm down in a hole so i should still get a freeze every night.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

First sap was 2/25. Got 4500 gallons so far off 340 taps. Almost half the taps are all sugars and 2.5% steady so far. The others about 1.7 average since they have some reds mixed in. RO pump went down thursday, but just got a loaner yesterday, so I have some sap to pickup today that has been sitting 2 days, hope it's ok! Should have pump fixed in mine monday, so hope for a real strong finish since it's dropping to the teens tonight and next week looks halfway decent.

And a shout out to the WV CDL rep Brandon Daniels (Daniels Maple Products) for being an awesome rep and big help answering lots of questions with new gear. And Mike Rechlin of course for being the WV maple promoter and instigator!
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 03-14-2021 at 08:10 AM.

finished up the last little run yesterday, up to 6000gal sap now. Just washed the tanks real good out in the woods since it had gotten to almost 60 a few days the past week. Cant let the sap sit around more than a day with that weather. Temp got back to 25 last night, and into the teens tonight, then a few days of 40/20s after. Hoping for this one last run to stay good before it goes buddy. No buds on trees, but that really doesn't mean it can't turn buddy tasting. Been getting real nice dark the past week. worn out being a one man show with a 2x4!

Here it is April the first! I heard thru a reliable source a well known Dr. at Future Generations that the Seven Brothers made two barrels of Syrup on the 30th, some who have quit up north probably would think that this is a April Fools joke! But no! I believe this is the seventh year out 8 that syrup has been made in April at that location. I guess it is self explanatory why I tried to lease the neighboring mountain, I quit at my location on March 10th. I had a better than avg. season , but that being said I still want to be there where the weather is equal to Quebec!
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Here it is April the first! I heard thru a reliable source a well known Dr. at Future Generations that the Seven Brothers made two barrels of Syrup on the 30th, some who have quit up north probably would think that this is a April Fools joke! But no! I believe this is the seventh year out 8 that syrup has been made in April at that location. I guess it is self explanatory why I tried to lease the neighboring mountain, I quit at my location on March 10th. I had a better than avg. season , but that being said I still want to be there where the weather is equal to Quebec!
    gosh, maybe I quit too early! My last collection was on the 21st, and made some good dark, but started to detect that funky smell in the steam and there was a week of almost 60s with no freeze ahead, so I called it quits. I heard peepers on the 23rd so I felt ok with the decision this past week its been syrup making weather again with snow and temps in 20s and teens a few nights but most my taps are pulled and buds are swelling. I am pretty much same elevation as them with same weather, so I would love to taste what they made on the 30th. Maybe I am quitting too early, or maybe they are making commercial grade to sell? If you want that weather, maybe we can talk the farm owner I get half my sap from into expanding and putting the shack on their property. Mike @future has been advising/assisting her also I swear it's just as big a farm/mountain as Dalens property and the big operation you speak of! Ran 2.5% most of the season, then 2.2% the last two runs!
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 04-04-2021 at 06:58 AM.

I’m pretty sure I’ve met the person you are referring to with the farm near you. She came to maple boot camp at WVU several years back, plus she and a friend came to my open house on Maple Day maybe three years ago! I will keep your info about possible leasing of sugar woods, our plan was to sell sap to the neighboring camp! What is the elevation at your camp and how high is the trees above your camp! John camp is at 3300 feet with the highest trees at 4300 feet, the neighboring mountain trees start at 3300 and go to 4200 feet!
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    I’m pretty sure I’ve met the person you are referring to with the farm near you. She came to maple boot camp at WVU several years back, plus she and a friend came to my open house on Maple Day maybe three years ago! I will keep your info about possible leasing of sugar woods, our plan was to sell sap to the neighboring camp! What is the elevation at your camp and how high is the trees above your camp! John camp is at 3300 feet with the highest trees at 4300 feet, the neighboring mountain trees start at 3300 and go to 4200 feet!
    It's pretty much identical to Johns. Bottom of the valley here is 3200 and ridges are 4300. But not many maples up above 4000. It's also a cattle farm in summer, and a very busy cross-country ski area in the winter, so the lines have to cross those trails. (not a big deal)
    I should go collect some sap from the taps not pulled and taste it because its been prefect run temps the last few days since the snow. 50s / low 20s. But buds are definitely swelling now!
    I remember in 2018, making good syrup April 7th, then it froze up for a good week, and then about mid april I made my first buddy syrup. A smell and taste I will never forget!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12