+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucker County

Default Tucker County

was thinking of starting to tap tomorrow, since we are coming out of a short stretch of teens and single digits. But now snow is creeping into the weekend forecast, and longer range looks like more cold and snow for a few weeks. Still might be worth tapping and getting a short run to boil this weekend.....hmmmm. Flipping coins. Also, probably easier to get around the hills with a few inches of snow like there is now, than a few feet later on in Feb, which is entirely possible where I am at.

7-Day For.jpg

Today:

High: 23 °F
    Low: 8 °F

Wednesday:

High: 40 °F
    Low: 22 °F

Thursday:

High: 45 °F
    Low: 27 °F

Friday:

High: 42 °F
    Low: 31 °F

Saturday:

High: 36 °F

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...1#.XicKOb5Kg2w
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 01-21-2020 at 08:42 AM.

We are thinking the same. Going to tap the runs of tubing tomorrow. Should be a decent run after this freeze cycle. The ground isn’t even froze here in Preston co. Happy tappin!

got 4 lines on the steeps done today in record time since i had a couple billy goats helpin and slipping and sliding on what little snow we had this week. makin repairs and replacing spouts. 3 more lines to go at some point. It's still real early, but glad to get the steep stuff done in case winter shows up hard at some point! Valentines day is the traditional tap time here, but the last few winters might be changing that tradition a bit! carpe sapum939AF217-.jpg980AB6D6-.jpgB489A1EC-.jpg
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 01-23-2020 at 07:16 AM.

got another 100 taps in on saturday on the old giant sugar maples at the Reed farm. They haven't been tapped in 60 years, and were flowing at 34 degrees right away. 3% sugar content out of them! The other sugarbush came in at 1% when it ran 10days ago or so. Haven't checked that today, but it's running like a river here now. Gonna be busy this week here! Doesn't look below freezing at night for a few days, but then it's goin back down.

Still at it! The freeze thaw pattern has been relentless since end of January where we've been getting 3 days of flow per week. Over 4000 gallons sap now from 220 taps. close to 50 gallons syrup made so far on a 2x4 drop flue. Thank god for RO, but a 2x6 would be nice! It's been exhausting with a full-time job! Running good still, but may pull taps on the lower sugar content woods that has some reds on the lines next week, since that got buddy fast last year.

Someone showed me a Facebook post that you got a couple inches of snow Friday night May the 8th in Canaan Valley, your trees budding yet? Last Sunday after delivery some syrup I took a little road trip up the Dryfork, some of the maples there were just starting to bud out, other still looked tight, mine down near Petersburg are in full leaf and hopefully making sugar for next season.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Up in central NY mine are also in full leaf, however most sugars are still small, but as old time farmers used to say, the "maple leaves are the size of squirrel's ears" (or larger), time to plant corn. That said, I don't plant any corn. Several years ago we had 6-8 rows x 35'of sweet corn. One evening my wife said we'd be having our first corn the next night for supper. She went to pick it and raccoons had knocked every stalk down, eaten a bite or 2 from each ear, we got zero. That was our last ever planting. We had a 7' fence around the entire garden, but they climbed the fence.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Someone showed me a Facebook post that you got a couple inches of snow Friday night May the 8th in Canaan Valley, your trees budding yet? Last Sunday after delivery some syrup I took a little road trip up the Dryfork, some of the maples there were just starting to bud out, other still looked tight, mine down near Petersburg are in full leaf and hopefully making sugar for next season.
    Mark 220 Maple
    Hey Mark, **** it's snowing again right now actually and a freeze warning tonight June 1st is considered the frost free date for planting sensitive plants tho. Trees are budding yeah but not close to full leaves. Been the longest slowest cold spring after a pretty mild winter. Looks like 70 this weekend tho

Here in central NY we've had frosts a few times lately. Unfortunately all of our fruit trees are in full bloom, peach, apply and pear, maybe one or 2 others. We also expect at least 1 more freeze this week. Fortunately my blueberries have not opened yet, but they're getting close too. We rarely lose a blueberry crop to frost but it has happened on the earliest varieties a few times over the years. We also had snow 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks, twice the last 4 days, 1-3".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Here in central NY we've had frosts a few times lately. Unfortunately all of our fruit trees are in full bloom, peach, apply and pear, maybe one or 2 others. We also expect at least 1 more freeze this week. Fortunately my blueberries have not opened yet, but they're getting close too. We rarely lose a blueberry crop to frost but it has happened on the earliest varieties a few times over the years. We also had snow 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks, twice the last 4 days, 1-3".
    sounds about like our predicament! (our elevation here gives us pretty similar weather as yall the northeast it seems) hope your maple season was a good one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast