+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multi-purpose Tubing Reel

Default Multi-purpose Tubing Reel

In the process of looking at what was laying around to build my own tubing reel, I came across this batting tee collecting dust until spring. It worked well right away, but once the plate got a layer of ice and snow, it zipped along. It works on the same principal as driving a stake in the ground - just without having to do that. I could move it around quickly and easily. It was heavy enough to stay put while I walked the line out.

I was going to make a piece of plywood that could fit over the T, but wanted to give it a try before putting in that effort. It worked well as is. The trick was to keep the tubing coming off the roll low. It was easy enough to find downed branches that I could work around or lay over the line coming out to keep it low. Instead of fitting plywood on top, I think I might bend some wire to put in the ground like a croqeute hoop to keep it down.

I'd still like to get a tubing reel some day, but in the meantime this does the job. I think a lot of people have one of these laying around.
    Tubing Reel Batting T.jpg
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I built one on a similar principle. The difference is I after I built the base that looks just like your batting tee, I slipped a larger piece of PVC over it and attached a piece of plywood to that (simple L brackets will do that) and a handle to the top. That way the whole spool spins. One option that helps that is find a small bucket or cylinder of some kind that fits tightly inside the spool, you just want it to be light. A carpet roll from a flooring store works well and when it tears up cut a new piece off. You can anchor it or hook the tubing to a tree and walk off with the spool and the tubing will feed off as you go (this is what I do).

I'd post a picture, but I kind of had an accident with it and it needs rebuilt. Note to self, remember that you put something in the bucket of the tractor.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 01-21-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Take a large coffee can, screw it to a piece of plywood or 1x12- Punch a couple holes in the top of the sides of the can, tie in a piece of rope with a snap swivel. I clip a carabiner in the swivel, you can hang it from mainline, a tree limb or tie off the end and take off through the woods with it. I have 3 of em, have strung 3 1/2 miles of tubing off of em.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Built mine out of 5 gallon bucket and some 1/2 pvc. Can put the lid on with a piece of pvc sticking thru lid and bottom to use as a 2 handed spool or put the swivel hook/caribeener on the handle.

Less than $10, lightweight and quick/easy to build. Coil up over 1200 feet of line on one of these. The pvc spokes are cheaper than the plywood base but serve same purpose.

https://youtu.be/I9ZoGFDqLqE
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I built a simple and ugly version with a 2x4 and a circle cut from plywood. Added an eye hook with a few washers and locking nuts. It worked well hanging it from the mainline but doesn't sit on the ground. It also works great for storing and transporting multiple rolls of tubing around, especially rolls that you've cut the banding off already. The large carabiner worked well to hook over the mainline.

I built another using 2- 2x4s cut to 4 ft and a lazy susan bearing plate. It worked really well for running my 500ft runs of 3/4" mainline. Total cost for that one was about 12 bucks.

It still will not let me upload pictures.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

we had a bunch of 18inch floor dust mop frames at work that we were going to toss out. Bent 4 of them to 90 degrees, and tack welded them together, a loop welded to the center of them, a trap swivel and screw eye hanger and whala, tubing hanger like the ones they sell only free.

Much like Mapleflats, can't upload a picture.
    Last edited by Chickenman; 03-22-2022 at 02:16 PM. Reason: tried adding pic.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Traffic Pylon with a wood base suspended by rope on a pole- works like a charm
    2010 40 buckets- 4 gals finished
    2011 80 buckets- 14 gals finished
    2012 105 buckets- 8 gals finished
    2013 maxed at 130 buckets- 24 gals finished
    2014 new max at 240 buckets- 18 gals finished
    2015 newest max 240 buckets-+48 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22.5 gals finished
    2016 150 taps on 3/16 gravity- 23 gals finished
    2020 250 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22 gals finished
    2021 385 taps on 3/16 gravity 25 gals finished
    2022 385 taps on 3/16 gravity- 26 gals finished

Video of reinstalling tubing using the reel this year. Worked great. Never had an easier time putting tubing up.

https://youtu.be/jYkZl7bb8jY

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    Built mine out of 5 gallon bucket and some 1/2 pvc. Can put the lid on with a piece of pvc sticking thru lid and bottom to use as a 2 handed spool or put the swivel hook/caribeener on the handle.

Less than $10, lightweight and quick/easy to build. Coil up over 1200 feet of line on one of these. The pvc spokes are cheaper than the plywood base but serve same purpose.

https://youtu.be/I9ZoGFDqLqE
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread