+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubing Condition and Advice for Installations Taken Down After the Season

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    We have to take ours down as well (5/16"). We use 3 lunchboxes in two woods, about 400', 1,000' & 1,200' from the tanks. We got some wire spools from our local electric utility & wrap our tubing on those. On the longest ones we use one for the home runs, and one for each system from the lunchbox out. We use a label maker & cover the labels with clear tape so they will last, but the sap & air lines are just marked with colored tape.
    Attachment 20600

We really don't tie off to or go completely around any trees, except for the home runs to keep them off the ground. We tied off a lot the first year we did 3/16", then noticed systems we were seeing pictures of didn't have ties so we left them off & saved a lot of time. If you do need to tie off there's a good method explained in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQX9L1KnBh8. And even if you don't use the "finger cuff" method he describes the hollow-braid rope is pretty inexpensive if you order a big spool from Amazon, and grips the tubing well.
    I'll watch that. I tag my lines with blue painter's tape and a sharpie - it actually holds up surprisingly well. Same thing if I have to break a line, which is almost a necessity. I have names for each line, like Stream, or Cottage, and the infamous Split Tree and Number 4, among others. I use the hollow braid rope on my Cottage line. I'm looking forward to doing things a little differently this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper2 View Post
    Chris, how do you mark the lines to know where they go the following season?
    I cut a piece of plastic from a gallon plastic jug and slip it over the downward side of the line. It has the tree owners name and the set number written on it. Some folks/ locations have three or four sets of tubing. I organize them by three groups and put up about 10 sets at a time.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I cut a piece of plastic from a gallon plastic jug and slip it over the downward side of the line. It has the tree owners name and the set number written on it. Some folks/ locations have three or four sets of tubing. I organize them by three groups and put up about 10 sets at a time.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Nice, Thank you
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    If you do need to tie off there's a good method explained in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQX9L1KnBh8. And even if you don't use the "finger cuff" method he describes the hollow-braid rope is pretty inexpensive if you order a big spool from Amazon, and grips the tubing well.
    Turns out I watched that a few years ago, but it was a good refresher. I actually copied his spooling device back then.

Folks,
    Some other options for 5/16 end of line tightening and removal. The CEC LOOP is made from two end rings and a piece of 5/16 30P tubing. Install it prior to putting on your first drop on the end tree. If more than one drop, continue around tree. last drop has a blind tee to stops sap flow towards the LOOP in the blind section. Add a end hook and the system is complete.

Uses CDL end rings only! Have not found and others that work good on 5/16 tubing. I use Leader 30P as it is stiff enough to work with the LOOP. Also uses a blind Tee to keep sap out of the line continuing from the last drop around the tree to the CEC LOOP.
    The LOOP can slide up and down to tighten the line at both ends of the system if needed.
    The end hook which hooks into the sliding LOOP allows for the line to be installed around the end trees and or taken down with no tools.

Here the LOOP also works at a gathering container to keep the line tight from last tree to the container.

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 01-24-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12