+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Condition and Advice for Installations Taken Down After the Season

Default Tubing Condition and Advice for Installations Taken Down After the Season

2 Questions:

Part 1: My tubing system is taken down at the end of the season. Normally, I rinse and sanitize the lines, then re-roll and store everything for the next year. Last year I was in disposed for several months after the season, so this did not happen. Late last year I when I checked my lines I noticed there was a huge amount of black slime in the lines. Are the lines OK to use after this? I'm leaning towards replacing it all (2,000-2,500ft of 3/16) because the lines are visible to anyone wandering by, and I don't want to give the impression that my collection/processing is not sanitary. Also, some of my older Leader tubing is prone the pull part at the fittings, and this always happens at the most inaccessible sections of the line, so I am about ready to replace that 1,000ft or so anyway. Most of the drops are on their second or third season, so also ready to be replaced this year or next.

Part B: Since this is a take down system, I need an easier way to hang the lines instead of wrapping the tree. This method is a nightmare to take down, particularly if I am not the one doing it. I have some ideas for tying off the lines to each tree with paracord, but curious what method others may use or recommend.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I would toss it all. For 150-200 dollars you can purchase all new. I cut out and replace any of my line that gets the black mold. I do a good sanitizing flush at the end of season and I have some lines going on 5 years with only a few spots from year to year, a lot have none. If I find a spot I cut the line opposite the closest tap then run all new tubing to that tee and put in a new tee. It cost me a little in new tubing, but pretty darn cheap when I consider how clean my line is. I never rap my lines only go around trees. Use side ties for tension and that will be a easier take down.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Yeah, I am inclined to agree.

Do you have an example of your side ties?
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Gary,
    I dont have any systems that long, but mine has to come down each year too. I developed a tightening system for the 30 short run tubing systems that we service. Each has 10 to 25 taps all 5/16. the system consists of parts and pieces/fittings that you can buy from various suppliers. My runs are only 50 to 100 feet long. I have a tightening system at each end. Allows for set up and tear down with no tools, also allows lines to be tightened on each end of the system. This is only gravity systems, but I guess could work on vacuum too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

That system sounds pretty good. My 5 long runs are on a hillside, so 3/16 works great. My 3 flat runs on the lunchbox are also quite long, although fewer taps on each line. Long runs are what makes the takedown so difficult; you have a huge coil of tubing. Add to that unwrapping the tree and it's enough to make you quit this.

Gary,
    I hear you. You can see hanging above the front of the evaporator the 30 systems of 5/16. Its like doing a lot of Christmas lights! Maybe you can come up with a reel on the side of a dolly?

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

If the lines become to long cut at a tee mark with colored electrical tape . Next year install your line with a new tee .

Chris, how do you mark the lines to know where they go the following season?
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

We have to take ours down as well (5/16"). We use 3 lunchboxes in two woods, about 400', 1,000' & 1,200' from the tanks. We got some wire spools from our local electric utility & wrap our tubing on those. On the longest ones we use one for the home runs, and one for each system from the lunchbox out. We use a label maker & cover the labels with clear tape so they will last, but the sap & air lines are just marked with colored tape.
    Tubing spool.jpg

We really don't tie off to or go completely around any trees, except for the home runs to keep them off the ground. We tied off a lot the first year we did 3/16", then noticed systems we were seeing pictures of didn't have ties so we left them off & saved a lot of time. If you do need to tie off there's a good method explained in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQX9L1KnBh8. And even if you don't use the "finger cuff" method he describes the hollow-braid rope is pretty inexpensive if you order a big spool from Amazon, and grips the tubing well.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Gary,
    I hear you. You can see hanging above the front of the evaporator the 30 systems of 5/16. Its like doing a lot of Christmas lights! Maybe you can come up with a reel on the side of a dolly?

Regards,
    Chris
    That looks familiar. When rinsed out, mine go back into several 55gal plastic drums (used from Bascome's - they are also used for sap collection and permeate storage in season).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast