+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air diaphragm pump freezing

Default air diaphragm pump freezing

I just got a stainless bodied air diaphragm pump for my filter press and I am using it in an unheated sugarhouse with no power. Can this pump freeze up at night and still work when it thaws? Will it hurt the pump? I also have this question on the Guzzler vacuum pumps, I think the manufacturer recommends that they not be allowed to freeze but I am sure many leave them out in remote bushes overnight in freezing weather. Thanks in advance for the answers.

My air powered diaphragm pump is food grade plastic, not SS, but you should not have any issues if you do it right. After pumping the syrup, rinse it with hot water (back into the evaporator) and then run it until dry. If it runs dry for a minute you have removed enough of the water to avoid freezing damage.
    If you will again be using it the next day or 2, you can leave the tail end of the syrup in the pump. The syrup will not freeze.
    If the pump freezes in use, you need an air drier on the air line.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks, you reminded me to put the air drier on my compressor. And I will run the pump dry for a minute or two after use.

Do not let your Guzzler pump freeze. They are all plastic and can break if sap freezes in them.

+ Reply to Thread