+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door size

Default Door size

What’s everybody’s thoughts on door size? Smaller to not lose heat while stoking it or bigger for better access to firebox? Do bigger doors amount to considerable heat loss to actually hinder the boil? My thoughts for my oil tank build is to have the door as wide as possible to have the sides flush to the inside bricks. This would keep me from bricking both sides of the doors on the front and provide better access to the firebox. This would give me a door roughly 18-19” wide.

That size sounds good. I think most like larger doors to get wood in as quick as possible. The longer the door is open the more heat loss you have. You can insulate a door to minimize the heat loss. Weld on some bolts to the door and bolt through the layer of insulation with grade 8 bolts. My bolts are on season 3 with no signs of wear.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Yes for sure the arch will be fully insulated, including the door. Like you said I think I’ll Just load quicker.
    Last edited by Grabouss; 01-19-2020 at 12:44 PM.

I think you will like it a little larger. Its closed more than open when running and the larger size will allow you to add wood and position wood in the fire box too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

It also helps to have the wood set up, ready to go in before you open the door.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The bigger the better. If you add a little insulation to the door it won't lose any heat. The bigger the door the less chance of an issue when firing. Just my two cents

+1 for the larger size... however i like two doors (if the arch is big enough). makes it easier to stoke one side at a time without loosing the heat!~
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread