+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worried about an early end in central Ohio for silver maples...

Default Worried about an early end in central Ohio for silver maples...

I spent some time this morning looking at my data from the past 2 years and comparing it to The Ohio State Phenology Calendar. They are calculating how many warm, growing days the trees and plants have, which lead to first bloom (budding).
    You put in your zip code here: https://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/gdd/default.asp

I crosschecked my data from the past 2 years and my sap stopped flowing almost exactly when their website said the silver maples should bloom.

For silver maples, the first bloom is 34 GDD. Today, 1/18/2020, we are at 16 GDD. In 2019 we didn't get to up to 16 GDD until 2/6/2019. In 2018 we didn't get to 16 GDD until 1/28/2018. I haven't tapped yet and my trees are half way to budding.
    Red maples bloom at 44 GDD. Sugar maples are not listed on their website.

Apparently the weather we've had is conducive to plant growth. I already have daffodils that are 2" out of the ground.

Based on what the data shows from only the last 2 years, I am expecting a early season with a low quantity of sap. If it stops raining today I'm going to get my taps in. For anyone else with silver maples, check to see what your current GDD count is and consider getting those taps in early. I hope to be proven wrong...
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

winter is running late. go back to the roots of maple. after the freeze let nature do its thing.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Dumb question here...

Are Growing Degree Days the number of days until the event happens or, the number of days required above a set temperature until that event.

Example: Using today's date for North East Ohio it states there are 44 days until 1st bloom for red maples. Is that 44 days from today - or 44 warm days.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Dumb question here...

Are Growing Degree Days the number of days until the event happens or, the number of days required above a set temperature until that event.

Example: Using today's date for North East Ohio it states there are 44 days until 1st bloom for red maples. Is that 44 days from today - or 44 warm days.
    Its a calculation between daytime high and overnight low.
    Dont be to concerned about the numbers, as silly as that sounds, mother nature will tell you when its time. Ive got all red maples and ive made lots of syrup well after the numbers say to stop. For the most part our trees last just about as long as our friends sugar maples. Dont know how or why, but nature knows
    Kevin

Granted, I'm in WI, but a few years ago our silvers bloomed mid-Feb. Made syrup until the end of March. Flower buds popping aren't the end of great syrup from silvers.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

There is a difference between the tips swelling and an actual bud that forms to flower
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Found a timelapse of a silver maple bud burst, so now I know what to watch for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6csIxekNoKU

We have 3 very warm days coming this weekend, so I'll keep an eye on the GDD number and the actual buds. And like others have said, hopefully silvers continue to make edible syrup after budding.
    '
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Those are flowers, not buds that will become leaves. It has to be in the upper 60s and into the 70s with high night time temps before you will have a problem with buddy syrup (3-4 days of it at least). Your tap holes might not like the warmer temps though. I have made good tasting syrup when daffodils were in full bloom.
    Last edited by Ed R; 01-31-2020 at 10:36 AM.

oh geeze. still learning...

+ Reply to Thread