+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Viper 5/16"

Default Line Viper 5/16"

What is the general consensus of the 5/16" Line Viper?

I'm looking at purchasing a line tool for the upcoming season. Who has the best overall price on the unit?

Thanks
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how one would use this tool installing drops, or other common line repairs. Most of my needs are for a tool to grip tubing on both sides, while I make the repair. And most of my lines are so tight I can't install one side then grab the other and install that in two steps, like shown on their video. For me, two handed tool is my go to tool. IMHO
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

On facebook i've seen multiple posts from people that are not happy they purchased it. Apparently you need a really big hand and a lot of strength to make it work. Also saw some complaints about lack of a cutter.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

You could use tension hooks https://www.bascommaple.com/item/TUBTH/ and then the Line Viper would work to grab each side to put in a "T". You would just have to put in one side at a time. I was going that route but ended up buying a two handed tubing tool instead. I can do just about everything with it but it did cost more money. Its a time saver for sure.
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

I use the tension hooks and a 1 hand tool when I do repairs, but I use the 2 hand LOAC for new work, but I string the lateral using a 2 hand, I then use a tension grip to hold both ends to add the drop even when I have the 2 hand there. I pre-make the drops.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I purchased one. I use a 2 handed tool to install drops however I find the Viper tool better for (making) drops. I have a one handed tool for making drops but it actually uses 2 hands. The Line Viper seems quicker. I can open & close the grip while using the other hand to place/adjust the tubing & placing a T or spout. It does not require the second hand to open or close the vice style grip on traditional 1 handed tools. Cuts my drop making time by quite a bit. I do not think it would necessarily be as useful in the woods for (installing) drops. It does also use a bit more hand strength/grip as you are using 1 hand to apply force to shove the spout/T into the tubing as opposed to the use of 2 hands actuating the tool.
    Last edited by Kris-WV; 01-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    400 taps on 3/16 for 2020
    Smoky Lake 2X8 Raised
    Flue w/ steam hood, Pre-heater
    SSR & Crescendo auto draw-off
    Smoky Lake filter press
    CDL 250 Hobby RO
    countryroadsmaple@gmail.com
    Almost Heaven WV

I really appreciate the input.

If I wanted to buy a cut in pliers tool which could make drops and cut a t into the line what tool is the best? I've been looking at the Maple Tech cut in plier https://mapletechtools.com/p/5-16-do...-cut-in-pliers
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

I just got one, and used it for making drops. I have nothing to compare it to but I like it and would recommend it.

I purchased a Line Viper specifically for the purpose of pushing drop lines onto clear acrylic spouts. I found that over that past 3 or 4 season when taping, the arthritic pain in my wrist was almost so bad that I was going to have to stop taping or rather stop pushing tubing onto spouts. I saw the Line Viper at the Maine Maple Tour last spring and knew that it was the tool that I needed. After purchasing, I drilled a bunch of test holes in a piece of maple slab wood and tried the tool out. The tool works fine for me and I would recommend it.

I also used it in the woods last week to repair two deer chews on two lateral lines and two drops. The drop onto the tee was easy and after figuring out how to do the lateral repair under line tension, it worked good.
    I probably will not use it as my main tubing tool instead of my two handed tool, but the Line Viper is easier to carry around the wood to do incidental unknown damage.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I bought one. I like it and consider it money well spent. Prior to this I was using a home-built welded slip channel pliers; the line viper works much better and with much less effort. I use tension hooks to do line cut ins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast