+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Usage Meter

Default Usage Meter

I wonder if this would work? I’m putting together a sureflo pump setup in my sugar shack. I already put an inkbird 308-wifi temp controller in.

This is a WiFi enabled water usage device. 1/2” NPT I would plumb into the pump discharge to my tank. I’m thinking I could monitor total sap collection in real time! If so, I’ll be able to manage my on/off AND flow remotely on my phone!

B75CCC0D-C7F5-4431-ACF5-017D8F145BD3.jpg
    2018 - 8 Taps on Buckets - homemade 2x2 pan and wood arch - 1.25 gallons
    2019 - 30 Taps on Buckets - new Sugarhouse , 2x4 divides pan and homebuilt
    evaporator! - 3.5 gallons
    2020 - planning 50 Taps on 3/16 tubing with shurflo vacuum

I believe it only picks up on flows greater than .5 gpm. I have been looking for a smart sensor to monitor my boil rate and have been using a digital DIGITEN system, that has worked but i dont have total confidence yet. and this isnt smart. Although i would also like a smart sensor on the discharge of my electric releaser each time i pump to my tank. This may work although its only 1/2" and has a max flow of 7gpm i think

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The problems with most simple (impeller) flow sensors are two-fold (at least).
    1. They typically require some minimum flow rate to be detected. Below that rate there is no measurement.
    2. Air in the line creates errors in the measurement.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Another point, at 50 taps you are thinking too hard, you don't need that much info, at least not yet. When you get into at least the hundreds or maybe even the thousands, then the measuring devices might help. I'm not in any way picking on you about 50 taps, just trying to help you get some perspective.
    If all of your taps will flow into one container, and you can only collect once a day, plan on a 100 gal tank, if it will only be collected on the weekends, figure 4-5x that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread