+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting 275 Gallon Totes Together

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    We drilled a hole near the tops of our totes and connected them with 1" copper tubing and fittings with seals against the tanks.
    Hey Maine woods, would you be willing to share a photo of your setup for connecting tanks ? I’m not plumbing savvy and not sure what kind of seals to use or how they install . I assume they’re food grade.

Many thanks.

Tom of MA
    135 taps on gravity 5/16 in Harvard MA
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    Hey Maine woods, would you be willing to share a photo of your setup for connecting tanks ? I’m not plumbing savvy and not sure what kind of seals to use or how they install . I assume they’re food grade.

Many thanks.

Tom of MA
    135 taps on gravity 5/16 in Harvard MA
    I'll see if my buddy has some pics but he's out of town until the weekend and he's the plumber who knows the part names. I think it was the plastic bulkhead tank fittings (just smaller than the bottom of the tanks) attached to the holes in the totes with the pipe connected between. He must have had some sort of fitting coming off the bulkhead fittings to connect the copper tubing.

Tom, Sorry I don't have any pictures either but like others I did this to two totes and installed a 1" bulkhead fitting on the back side very close to the top of each tote. Then I put in a male camlock into each bulkhead and made a hose with female camlocks using 90 degree fittings into the hose. I have the totes set up to be about 1/2" difference in height to have a little slope on the hose. I do have a steel bar zip-tied to the outside of the 1" suction hose to keep it from sagging however freezing should not be an issue as the hose drains empty when the sap stops running out of the first tote. If I had to do it again I would do this on the valve side for ease of unhooking while pumping out if you want to tip the tote a little. Mainline tubing should work too and maintain the stiffness.
    Brent
    220 taps on tubing and Shurflo pumps, F600 4x4 Sap truck with 500 gal Bulk Tank, Leader Micro 2,
    2x6 Smokey Lake Raised Flue oil conversion, Smokey Lake Short Stack with Air pump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12