+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting 275 Gallon Totes Together

Default Connecting 275 Gallon Totes Together

With our new vacuum system this year we are for sure going to be overflowing a single 275 tote. Has anyone come up with a good way so that once one tank fills, it spills into the next, then to the next. We have 4 totes firmly mounted on cribbing so they are all next to eachother and even.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

You could use Banjo fittings to get over to pipe and then use T’s, nipples and quick connectors to tie all the tanks together into one big tank.
    2019:240Taps on 3/16” 30gals. of syrup
    2020:256 Taps on 3/16” New 3/4” mainline
    2x7 homemade evaporator
    2021: added a 2x4 pan on to evaporator
    2x11 homemade evaporator
    300 Taps 25gals. of syrup
    2022: new cdl draw off
    Sp22 vac. Pump, all taps on vac.
    57gals. of syrup
    2023: 207 taps- 15 are on 5/16
    2024: 220 taps- 22 on 5/16; built a 4x40 Ro with an XLE membrane

I have 3 all in line with a 2" pvc manifold. Simply tees off at each valve and ties in. I put a ball valve at the end so I can shut off the manifold but keep totes open to fill evenly. One suggestion would be to build one up higher than the next if you have to pump out of them. Once they get so low they suck air and the last bit is tough to get. By having one higher than the next you can shut just that tote off as it emptys and wait for the next one.

I have two totes plumbed together with PVC at the drain valves. I have one tank an inch higher than the other and the pipe runs slightly downhill before it goes into the sugar house. The sections of pipe are connected together with Fernco sleeves so that they can easily be taken apart if they are frozen. The permeate goes into the top of the first tank and both fill evenly when the valves at the bottom are both open.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Seems like everyone is connecting using the valves on the bottom. Biggest concern is things freezing up since these will be in the woods for 5 days unattended. Some years we battle freeze ups some years its not an issue.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

We drilled a hole near the tops of our totes and connected them with 1" copper tubing and fittings with seals against the tanks.

Google “uniseal” I use them everywhere. Between cage tanks. Work very well adding ports to releaser so also.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I have two totes plumbed together with PVC at the drain valves. I have one tank an inch higher than the other and the pipe runs slightly downhill before it goes into the sugar house. The sections of pipe are connected together with Fernco sleeves so that they can easily be taken apart if they are frozen. The permeate goes into the top of the first tank and both fill evenly when the valves at the bottom are both open.
    I had 4 275 totes connected under my rain gutter. 4 tanks, side by side, 4 valves facing front, 2" pvc tee'd at each valve, connected to the valve with fernco's with a common pipe running the length of the 4 tanks. I had a water hose valve on the end of the tee at the end tank. When I got it all done and we got a heavy rain, I wanted to see how long it would take my roof to fill 1100 gallons. I had the first tank valve shut, and the other three open. When the first got full, I opened the valve. As expected, the other three tanks started filling, however, the end tank filled faster than the middle two. I thought that was pretty cool that the velocity of the water caused it to pass up the first two tees. A couple years later I start putting up maple tubing, and all these tee's.....
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

That bottom valve is a lot more forgiving than PVC. I have seen cage tanks almost freeze solid with no issues to the bottom valve once it thaws.Keep in mind there is some 'flex' in the container itself should it freeze. Another trick is to leave the top cap loose and not threaded on, the expansion from freezing will spill out the top first. PVC on the other hand is more of an issue with freezing and if you connect with various pvc T's and elbows make sure to use ferncos or quick connects so you can take it off to thaw. Drain valve at the end is a good idea also but sooner or later you will forget to drain it. That's where its nice to just take off and bring inside to thaw.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

We have six 330gal totes in two rows. All connected at the top, in and out separately, 1st tank fills then the next, this way on a short run we dont have sap spread out in all six totes.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)