+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about leasing a sugarbush

Default Questions about leasing a sugarbush

Hi and greetings from MO where the sap has started to flow and the Chiefs will have the Superbowl victory parade in a few weeks! What is the standard arrangement for leasing a sugarbush- how much syrup do I share with the landowner if I tap/collect/boil/finish/bottle. Does that change if landowner provides firewood? What about making roads, having access, liability, etc. Are there any standard agreements on a website? Thanks. John
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

I used a lease form I found on Vermont's maple site, then I redid it to fit my operation. On my 2 leases I paid in both syrup and a check. I set my rate, which will depend on several factors. The ease of access, the size of the bush, is power available, how easy will it be to design and install a tubing system, how many taps/acre potential and the general lay of the land. Other factors can often be about how much demand is there for the lease, if 2 or more producers want it, the cost goes up.
    On mine I supplied the landowners with all of the syrup they wanted (calculating the value as if it was all in gal jugs, regardless of the size they requested) the I subtracted that from the total and paid the bal in a check. About 10 or 12 years ago I started at $.75/tap, after 5 years it rose at the same rate as the social security rate declared inflation.
    When I ended the leases, I sold one to another producer and the landowner plans to take the other one over next year with me boiling his sap on shares.
    Areas with lots of producers can see rates much higher, like I've heard of $2.00/tap. On mine, I did not have permission to cut any firewood (both landowners cut wood to heat their homes) and the trails were already there from logging and firewood gathering already.
    In any case, have the lease in writing stating the responsibilities of each party. I always supplied a certificate of liability insurance to the landowner, naming them as "also insured".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

John,
    I used to pay by the gallons of syrup produced, basically I was paying for tree performance, this season the land owners wants .75 per tap. I'm ok with that another local syrup producer is paying that rate so I guess it is collusion if we all set are prices the same? Lol!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I downloaded one from the Vermont Website also I can email you a copy, it won't let me post it here. I have yet to lease- but have had several neighbors offer me their trees. I haven't tapped half of ours yet, good to know that it's coming though.

send me an email of private message and I'll send you the form.

benjamin.walker73@gamil.com

Ben
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

+ Reply to Thread