+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 🍁North-Central Wisconsin Tappers🍁

I have a 200 mile drive to get to my Price Co trees. Couldn’t access them last year (thanks beavers) so I’m wondering if this week’s coming warm weather will get things rolling. Anyone able to share some intel? :-)

Brother went up to start tapping today. About 2 feet of white stuff on the ground in western Vilas Co. Hope he digs nice trails to the trees, so I don't have to trudge through it. Hoping to start cooking Friday afternoon. At least the sap won't spoil.

I'm in central Lincoln county. 2" of new snow on top of the 12" already on the ground. The trees just started leaking about 3 this afternoon. Hoping to cook this weekend.

Just put in 22 taps this evening. Had to trudge around in snow shoes to avoid sinking in up past my knees, and didn't crash even once. However, no sap in any of the holes. Weird. Mrs. TwoSaps told me this morning that it was too early, don't jump at the first 40 degree day. The little lady apparently is right again. I hate that.

Cool Great Start!

I snowshed into central Price County Camp BOB Wednesday evening (3/16). Tapped a handful of trees each day, Thurs thru Sat. Now 20 tapped and sap has flowed a little better each day as snow depth went from 16” to about 12”. Have about 10 gallons to start boiling today which is fine when you just have a 16 quart pot! Down below 20 last night and 50 predicted so today should be a great day! A Redpoll mob seems to have followed me from southern WI. (Oops! — Photo won’t upload.)

Drove 25 taps yesterday. Half of them dripped nicely the other half nothing. Roads are muddy already....................bummer. Another nice day today !!! Happy Tapping Jay
    Zucker Lager

Friday collected only 12 gallons on the 31 taps this year. Saturday the trees were all dripping nicely when I decided to head home since I did not have enough to start up the evaporator. Hoping the warm temps this past weekend get the trees flowing. Will be back thursday to see how it has been doing.

Bryan

2022 - 31 taps (very slow start to the year)
    2021 - 31 taps 9.7 gals, new SL Dauntless Evaportator
    2020 - 25 taps 7 gals
    2020 - 25 taps 7 gals

Neighbor of my sapping site called yesterday. All buckets full. Heading up right after work tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the sap collected before it freezes solid. Going to be a long day cooking Saturday. If everything is full, that's about 200 gallons of sap.

Went to the cabin to collect thursday and had 55.5 gallons on 31 taps for the week. Dripped some more friday but did not collected the 1 to 2 inches in the buckets. Will get that next weekend. Looking back, season is kind of acting similar to 2019 for where I am at for sap. And that year season ran till mid april. Also most of my sugar content was between 2.2 to 2.6% which I usually run in that range. I did have 2, 4 gallon buckets test at 3 and 3.2%.
    Bryan
    Last edited by Bgreisch; 03-28-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Sayner - Star Lake area......Collected 75 gallons + or - the ice we discarded from 80 taps on Friday the 25th. Boiled on Saturday netting 1.5 gallons of Amber. It was our 1st boil on our new W. F. Mason 2x4 XL continuous flow evaporator. We went from a 20 x 30 flat pan. Totally under estimated the steam that was produced. The low temp in the teens had to have been a factor. Can't wait to get back and boil the next run.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast