+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 🍁North-Central Wisconsin Tappers🍁

Default 🍁North-Central Wisconsin Tappers🍁

What’s the prediction for 2020 season?

No frost in ground as of yet, if we end up without any frost I think season will be over quick.

I predict a short season. With no frost tree will wake up quickly. I’m thinking about tapping my lines by Feb 1. I did a few upgrades this year and I don’t want to miss the big run like I did in 2018.

I'm quite a bit northwest of you guys, we had several days well into the low teens in early November that put a good amount of frost in the ground. Then 40+" of snow. I'm thinking up here it will be mid March before anything gets going up here. Have a great season!
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Beav View Post
    What’s the prediction for 2020 season?
    i predict that the early season will be very cold with deep snow, the kind of snow that when the tip of your snowshoe catches a buried branch it takes you a good 10 minutes to get vertical again.. the cold won't actually be so bad that the 10 gal of sap you just dumped on yourself will freeze solid to your jeans but will soak through so you can be miserable for the rest of the collection. the end of the season will be warmer and most of the snow will be melted which will turn the road you came in on into a muddy quagmire so that your vehicle, now weighed down by all the finished syrup you are taking home, will get planted in the one spot where you don't have cell service. i'm no Nostradamus but based on my past experiences, i'm thinking this is a fairly accurate prediction.

Default Thanks for that graphic post

Not implying you’ve been watching me but.. pretty sure you described me once or twice! Dang I needed that chuckle!

Put in around 60 taps or so last weekend 2/29 & 3/1 in the Sayner-Star Lake area. About 10 or so trees dripping in the late afternoon sun when tapped. I too took 10 minutes to get up after a wipe out or two on the snowshoes. Ugh !

West branch Kickapoo River Valley, Southwestern Wisconsin

Just wondering how deep is the snow in the woods up there?
    12x16 Sugar House 2x6 Maple Pro wood fired evaporator Arctic Cat 4x4 1980 Snowmobile 225 taps on buckets 17 Taps on 3/16th tubing on steep hillside

Based on last weekend in the woods tapping, i would say around 20". Then add what fell today.

Collected 54 gallons of sap Friday night from the last week on 25 taps, boiled that down to 2 gallons was at 217 for temp when I pulled it off to finish on propane later. Left our place Saturday at 3pm and it was not running yet hopefully it opened up yesterday with the temps as nice as it was.

4th year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast