+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood splitters for sugaring

Default Wood splitters for sugaring

I’m looking to upgrade the old huskee wood splitter and I want something that can split more than 24” long. I’ve been scouring through the internet and I like the eastmade 22-28 and see if they can customize it to go up to 36”. It’s doubtful, but does anyone know a company that makes long stroke firewood splitter and are built well? I cut a lot of firewood between sugaring , my mother’s house and my house.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

Built-rite has an option for 36” and 48” splitters. They are made in Vermont.
    https://www.built-rite.com/page/26760-Woodsplitters
    Timberwolf made in New York makes splitters, but I couldn’t find on their website if they make ones over 24”.
    https://timberwolfequip.com/log-splitters/
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

American has options as well.
    http://www.americancls.com/products/super/
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I have a Timber Wolf T-1. It's a great well-made splitter... but only available in 24"as far as I know. You may want to call them.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I have a "Rugged Made" wood splitter that I believe will handle 30"material . I believe it is comparable to the Easton splitters. However it has to be assembled once you get it (3-4hours). Just look it up on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    American has options as well.
    http://www.americancls.com/products/super/
    +1 for American. I bought one a few years ago. Made in the USA. When you call the company the owner picks up the phone and will answer all questions. Then they delivered it to my door.

And it's a beast!
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    I’m looking to upgrade the old huskee wood splitter and I want something that can split more than 24” long. I’ve been scouring through the internet and I like the eastmade 22-28 and see if they can customize it to go up to 36”. It’s doubtful, but does anyone know a company that makes long stroke firewood splitter and are built well? I cut a lot of firewood between sugaring , my mother’s house and my house.
    The Eastonmade splitters are made in my home town and are great machines! You can get lots of options - like a short stroke to split stovewood, the hydraulic lift, adjustable wedges, auto-return, etc... They aren't cheap but are very well built and worth the money.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I did a Google search for log splitters that do logs over 24". There seems to be a few that come up, I found 36" and 48" ones, and a couple of 26".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a built rite 36 inch 11HP splitter. It is nicely balanced when you need to move it a few feet by hand. The log lift saves the back and you will split chunks you would never think of picking up. The cycle times are a little long with the 36 inch ram and you need an experienced operator for the auto feed and auto return. It's not really a let the kids run the handle type of machine. It was hard to justify the price, but with the 4 way wedge and someone feeding it, wood is done is no time and doesn't even feel like a chore.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Thanks for the information guys I like the built-rite model 11. I can go up to a 10 way wedge and get a Diesel engine on it.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast