+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping Glass bottles

Default Shipping Glass bottles

Hey all, it seems that every year I tap, boil, and produce a bit more. I am finally getting a demand from enough friends, family, and their friends that I need to figure out how to ship. I bottle in round glass pints and quarts. What suggestions do you all have in shipping, packaging, and the such? Thanks

Not being a wise guy, but consider doing some in plastic jugs. If you want to do glass, lots of bubble wrap. Either way, use newspaper, bubble wrap or whatever you can to pack the containers tight so they don’t move around. Knock on wood, but we’ve shipped as far as overseas and never had an issue but that’s with plastic jugs.

We just recently shipped (4) 1 gallon glass bottles to New Jersey successfully. We placed each bottle in a plastic grocery bag,then spray foam insulation around and underneath each bottle. Marked the box well as to glass,fragile,and this way up.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I shipped a few glass gallone style jars successfully, then had a run of 2-3 shipments that were damaged. I packaged them all the same except that 3rd one, which was packaged even better with padding and protection. I want to package in glass, but will bottle some plastic to use for shipping in the future. You never know when one of those postal guys will go postal.

I ship my bourbon barrel aged maple syrup in glass, never had any get broken. I ship them in medium or large flat rate boxes and pack them well using foam peanuts for orders that can fit in those sizes. When I ship full cases I ship in a 20x16x14 double wall outer box and the case of either 24 bottles of 200ml or 12 bottles of 375ml is packed inside, fully protected with foam peanuts. In general those are my only glass I ship. The rest are packed in plastic.
    In all cases the buyer pays the shipping. I buy my glass from Burch Bottle and have them ship it. They pack the glass in large master cases with all of the foam peanuts I ever need. I used to buy bubble wrap pouches for the bottles and then bought bubble wrap rolls, but I had 2 get broken doing that, so far no broken ones using the foam peanuts. I pack so the bottles are tight, not able to shift around in the box.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-14-2020 at 09:19 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

last year I did some shipping and it was a disaster. I sent 5 quarts in glass to Florida... post office destroyed the box and quarantined it with Hazmat at the florida airport. the recipient went to the airport, but couldn't get the destroyed package... filed an insurance claim with USPS and since we didn't have evidence, they wouldn't accept the claim... then I reshipped the 5 bottles. split 3 in one box and 2 in the other... this time, the 3 got destroyed... 3rd time was successful... each time, the bottles were wrapped multiple times in bubbled wrap and then completed packed tight with peanuts.. you'd be amazing at what the USPS can destroy...

I will never attempt to ship glass again... just not worth the cost, risk or hassle...
    2019 290 taps on 3/16"
    2018 20 taps on milk jugs
    2017 10 taps on milk jugs

A quart weighs approx. 2 pounds- that's a lot of inertia for those chuckers !!
    We ship in 500 ml maple leaf bottles.
    Adds some weight but also adds rigidity.
    good luck
    2010 40 buckets- 4 gals finished
    2011 80 buckets- 14 gals finished
    2012 105 buckets- 8 gals finished
    2013 maxed at 130 buckets- 24 gals finished
    2014 new max at 240 buckets- 18 gals finished
    2015 newest max 240 buckets-+48 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22.5 gals finished
    2016 150 taps on 3/16 gravity- 23 gals finished
    2020 250 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22 gals finished
    2021 385 taps on 3/16 gravity 25 gals finished
    2022 385 taps on 3/16 gravity- 26 gals finished

+ Reply to Thread