+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell tapper. View Post
    Approximately 335 gals over the last 12 days off 27 taps.
    Holy cow...that's fantastic. I never get anything close to that...lucky to get 150 gallons from 100 taps in that time. Granted, I constantly battle leaks from deer and squirrels in my basically forest conditions, and my trees are mostly over 100' tall and take a while to really get going. Nonetheless, great haul!
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Cabin View Post
    Hmm, would you be up for dumping sap into my transfer tank? Just getting ready to set 100+ taps here in Bloomington. What few taps I had out last week got almost nothing. Most of the trees I tap are right in town and I’ve found its enough of a heat island that folks in the country will have a run when I’m getting nothing.

Can be reached at 812-325-seven six three seven. Thanks! Mike Bell
    Mike, any interest in teaming up? I've got 12 acres of mostly maple forest on the north shore of Lake Lemon and only have tapped maybe 1/10th of my maples (100 taps). Have a 2x4 mason evaporator on site and an 8 cartridge homemade r/o and homemade lunchbox vacuum and 2 250 gal storage totes...and I haven't even had the time to break out the evaporator...I'm just r/o'ing and boiling on a turkey fryer at home and dumping what I can't get to because my work schedule combined with my son's high school bball games limits my time down there. I'm in Carmel. With a team approach (if not this year, maybe next) we could hit over 500 taps and have some big production (enough that I'd hire I friend's kid to help out)...just a thought.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Wouldn't happen to be on 10th street, would it?
    Yep, that's the place. The Hinkle-Garton Farmstead. I've got about 80 taps out now, hope I have enough sap for a demo boil tomorrow. Had a number of taps running as I set them today.
    Michael B.

2010- 6 taps & untold hours boiling over stove, gas grill & open fire. Two gallons bottled & family & friends received early Christmas gifts!

2011- 18 taps & a home built arch (old filing cabinet with steam table pans)

2012- 25+ taps and teaching a Parks & Rec course on Maple Syrup (Yikes!)

Tapping trees here in Bloomington and at a family cabin in Butler County, KY.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Franklin View Post
    Mike, any interest in teaming up? I've got 12 acres of mostly maple forest on the north shore of Lake Lemon and only have tapped maybe 1/10th of my maples (100 taps). Have a 2x4 mason evaporator on site and an 8 cartridge homemade r/o and homemade lunchbox vacuum and 2 250 gal storage totes...and I haven't even had the time to break out the evaporator...I'm just r/o'ing and boiling on a turkey fryer at home and dumping what I can't get to because my work schedule combined with my son's high school bball games limits my time down there. I'm in Carmel. With a team approach (if not this year, maybe next) we could hit over 500 taps and have some big production (enough that I'd hire I friend's kid to help out)...just a thought.
    Never hurts to consider something like that. I'll be at the site a bunch the next few weeks, have a "Backyard Liquid Gold " workshop from 2-3:30 tomorrow, and another one next Saturday (Partly sponsored by the IMSA now, usually have 15-20 participants in each workshop. We are always open the last Saturday of the month for the Museum Open Day as well, and will be doing the IMSA Maple Weekend in March. Anyway, it would be easier to explain my situation at the Farmstead in person, so hopefully we can meet somewhere!
    Last edited by Logan Cabin; 02-08-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: clarity
    Michael B.

2010- 6 taps & untold hours boiling over stove, gas grill & open fire. Two gallons bottled & family & friends received early Christmas gifts!

Yep, that's the place. The Hinkle-Garton Farmstead. I've got about 80 taps out now, hope I have enough sap for a demo boil tomorrow. Had a number of taps running as I set them today.
    I work for IU, based out of the physical plant. I drive by the farmstead several times a day, I noticed some bags hanging in the past few days. Looks like you lost a couple trees, there by the street.

Never hurts to consider something like that. I'll be at the site a bunch the next few weeks, have a "Backyard Liquid Gold " workshop from 2-3:30 tomorrow, and another one next Saturday (Partly sponsored by the IMSA now, usually have 15-20 participants in each workshop. We are always open the last Saturday of the month for the Museum Open Day as well, and will be doing the IMSA Maple Weekend in March. Anyway, it would be easier to explain my situation at the Farmstead in person, so hopefully we can meet somewhere!
    Yes, I'll try to catch up with you at some point! We live in Carmel, but I grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. My dad worked for IU almost his whole career and my grandfather was Vice President of IU for many years. I see us retiring down at Lake Lemon at least part of the year when the kids get older. I'll look forward to seeing what you are doing down there!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I work for IU, based out of the physical plant. I drive by the farmstead several times a day, I noticed some bags hanging in the past few days. Looks like you lost a couple trees, there by the street.
    Yeah, that hurt to see those get cut down. The one by the carriage house we had cabled 12-13 years ago, and that likely saved a lot of damage to that building. When the branch broke it ended up hanging from the cable about ten feet above the rooftop. The severe drought several years ago hurt some of those older trees. House was built in 1892, so our best guess is the trees date from that time.

Do you know Will Bowman? He’s a plumber for IU and does syrup, stops in the Farmstead a few times each season.
    Michael B.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Franklin View Post
    Yes, I'll try to catch up with you at some point! We live in Carmel, but I grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. My dad worked for IU almost his whole career and my grandfather was Vice President of IU for many years. I see us retiring down at Lake Lemon at least part of the year when the kids get older. I'll look forward to seeing what you are doing down there!
    Wow, the “Franklin Hall” Franklin? That’s so cool! My dad was a ‘48 IU grad, and being a history buff I love stuff like this.

Had a high school kid from Noblesville in our first workshop yesterday. Spent a half an hour talking to him afterwards. Could I put him in touch with you as someone he could ask about syrup closer to home? I plan to look through the IMSA member list too.
    Michael B.

Yeah, that hurt to see those get cut down. The one by the carriage house we had cabled 12-13 years ago, and that likely saved a lot of damage to that building. When the branch broke it ended up hanging from the cable about ten feet above the rooftop. The severe drought several years ago hurt some of those older trees. House was built in 1892, so our best guess is the trees date from that time.

Do you know Will Bowman? He’s a plumber for IU and does syrup, stops in the Farmstead a few times each season.
    Oh yeah, I know Will, We talk syrup quite a bit. He's making some very nice improvements/upgrades this season.

Wow, the “Franklin Hall” Franklin? That’s so cool! My dad was a ‘48 IU grad, and being a history buff I love stuff like this.

Had a high school kid from Noblesville in our first workshop yesterday. Spent a half an hour talking to him afterwards. Could I put him in touch with you as someone he could ask about syrup closer to home? I plan to look through the IMSA member list too.
    Hey Michael, yes, the same...lol! I'd be happy to talk to him. Most of what I do is down at the lake, but I typically r/o to about 8% and boil while I do it on a turkey fryer and wind up coming home with containers at about 25 - 35% and finish boiling and bottling up here because I run out of time...and my 2x4 Mason evaporator is buried deep in the garage at the lake behind 2 sea doos, a riding mower, and a golf cart, all with the batteries removed for the winter. Kind of hoping I don't have to roll everything out to get it, kind of hoping I do! But sure, happy to talk to him about my goofy hobby. My email is afranklin@indy.rr.com if you want to pass it on to him.

I'm laying low with the temps we've had...are you getting any production? I haven't been down since the Monday before last. I have my lines running into a 250 gallon food tote, so I'd be shocked if I've collected much, and the temps should keep it fresh. Plus, with the density of my forest I find it is slow to warm up and get flowing. Looks like I'll head down first of the week to hopefully find some sap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast