+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2020

Default Tapping 2020

We put our taps out today, around 85 on 3/16 tubing. The forecast doesn't look as good as it did a couple days ago, but we've had good luck getting out early so we went ahead anyway. Ready for colder weather, good luck to my fellow Hoosiers!

Hey Tony, have you collected much sap?

Not yet, it's trying to run which surprised me given these warm temps. It needs to cool off.

First boil of the season, collected approx 100 gallons on Friday, ran it through the RO at low pressure to reduce it down to 50 gallons. We have some new equipment this year so this small run was just the ticket to try it out. A couple of glitches to correct, but very pleased.

Very little posting here...has anyone had as much trouble as I did logging in?

Set 65 taps on a beautiful day Sunday. Sap was running hard. Unfortunately, the storage tote has some fungus and bugs in the bottom and the water is off so I will have to dump (unless you all think a very low micron filter can take that out - I know my prefilter will get the bugs, but will a good filter in my ro get a little green mold as well? Not much, just a little in the bottom of the 250 gallon tote where it is recessed.). Thinking Thursday if I need to dump the tank, and then looks like a great 4 or 5 day run and then hopefully we get cold again!
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Anybody out here with thoughts on what to expect? Heading down to my sugar bush tomorrow to either make sugar for my wife's maple sugar hand scrub, or maybe keep it for syrup. Regardless I will separate it from what I collect going forward just in case the junk in the tanks fouls it up. But, the next 4 days after tomorrow look great...guess I'll be spending Sunday night and Monday boiling instead of watching the super bowl and working...fine by me. Then it looks like a much needed cold snap.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

It’s been running good here. Getting a little better than a gal per tap on the days it hits in the high 30s. Twice that if it gets into the 40s and runs all night. All new tubing and a new diaphragm pump this year. Scott

We are going to tap on Saturday. Supposed to get cold again late next week up here but we should have a few good days.
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

I had about 85 gallons waiting for me this afternoon. I put 60 in buckets in the shed and brought 5 gallons home to boil and see if it is useable or not. Got my 2 big food totes cleaned out and hoping it runs well tomorrow and Saturday...I'll probably spend Sunday and Monday down there boiling and putting in some more taps.

We put in 33 on Wednesday and they were running pretty well. We're hoping to finish up with that location on Saturday, we should have around 80 taps there when it's done. That only leaves 170 more to do on the vacuum and 20 or so bags. Seems like we're a little behind, but if it gets cold for a few days maybe not.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast