+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Osage Orange, Black Walnut, and Honey Locust Trees

Default Osage Orange, Black Walnut, and Honey Locust Trees

I have quite a few osage orange, black walnut, and honey locust trees on my land and I'm wondering what use I can make of them. Are there any practical uses for the fruits of the osage orange, for the black walnuts, or for the pods of the honey locust?

You can make syrup from the sap of the Black Walnuts. We used to, until we sold that property. Very tasty, hard to filter, commands a premium price.

Thanks for the suggestions, TonyL. I think I'll get out there and tap a handful of the black walnuts and give it a try. I don't know that I've ever tasted black walnut syrup, but I might as well give it a try.

Black Walnuts are difficult to crack, but well worth the effort. In a cookie, nut bread, or pastry they are unsurpassed. Some are easier than others to crack. Look for the tree that produces the roundest, widest nut and sample some. Butternut or Walnut sap is a wonderful addition to maple syrup and adds a silky smoothness to the finished product. It's a bit harder to filter for the same reason.

We use to keep a few of the oranges in our old michigan basement farmhouse, they were suppose to help keep out mice because of there smell. I know that the wood from the osage orange tree is used by folks who craft low bows. I am not sure about the honey locust uses, may have to look that one up.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread