+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 season

Fight the urge guys! Sun angle still low, days still short and its only 40 degrees for a few hours. I too am getting excited about maple but trying to focus on other things.

I dropped in an observation tap today on a 12+ " sugar maple that I have tapped twice before, just to see what might be going on. Tapped at noon and I had 3 pints by 4:30. I brought it In to the house to check the sugar content. I put it on the refractometer expecting to see 3 or more, as I remember this tree providing, and I got............1.4. Needless to say I was a bit underimpressed. The refractometer was checked.

My question is does the sugar content start out low as a tree thaws and starts to flow, or does it start high from the get go? I know it drops as the season progresses. This low number has me concerned.

Would appreciate some opinions and or thoughts!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Looks like the temperatures will be a little too low to get any real sap early next week. But it is time to get the saphouse ready and the lines fixed. Last time I was down there a couple days ago I noticed that that the wire for my wet line was completely slack. I didn't go up into the woods to see what had happened. This is the first time I've had a high tensile wire break. I expect I'll be tapping midweek with the hopes of collecting sap by the weekend. Have to keep an eye on the forecast between now and then. Who's tapped already? Was it worth it?
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Good to hear from you Steve. I too will finish repairs and installing new drops/taps this weekend so we are ready to go. But next week still looks like winter so I'm going fishing. Going to wait until at least the following weekend now.

We are tapping in Lewiston today and Sumner tomorrow. Might not collect much sap this week but if we have enough to sweeten the pans next weekend I'll be happy with that. Also hoping to do some testing and tuning on the new Shurflo Solar Sap Sucker this week. Cant wait to see how it works out and see if it was really worth it.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Good luck in west sumner. Let us know how you’re doing.

Put about 300 taps in Friday afternoon and finished the last 100 today. For once I think I'm ahead of schedule! I guess that means something will probably break soon, usually how it goes.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

I put in over a hundred taps yesterday. Will probably do a similar number today in the warmest part of the day. I plan to be all tapped by noon Saturday. If it warms up enough to run in the afternoon I'll look for leaks and flush the lines. Should be able to boil next week, though I'm not expecting big runs.

If the temps hold for next week, it looks like it could be the beginning of consistent runs. Probably take part of Saturday to get things thawed but after that, we could be on track for a good sap flood.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

So how did the sap run today? I decided last week to change 400 taps over to 3/16 in my spare time so I'm not ready yet but curious what I am missing. Took down the 5/16 and added about 30 feet in elevation drop so I hope it is all worth it.
    Last edited by twitch; 02-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast