+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 season

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    8” of snow on thawed ground....but at least it’s good for mapling. Should melt quickly. Looks like a great day for sap and forecast is good through Saturday. Hoping for a big week, good luck everyone!
    Next ten days look dynamite for western, central, and even northern Maine if forecast holds.

Hey Abbott!!! Nice to see everyone is having a good year!!!! I couldn't just let the season go by again reading all those good posts so i started up late. Low key but making some awesome syrup, of coarse family all wants some. I knew that would happen. And i was out myself, can't have that!!!! Later Mitchman

Well after seeing and boiling through today’s run which is still going and looking at the forecast through the weekend, I’ll be changing my screen name to #needromachine. We are still making a light amber, nice stuff. Gonna be a busy weekend! Going great in Peru! How’s everyone else doing?
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Anyone else's sap sugar content drop ?
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

I boiled yesterday and noticed that the sugar was 2.25%, down from 2.5ish on the previous boil. I also decided to drop off any tree with less than 1.8% and was surprised to find a bunch lower than that and a grouping around 1.8 to 2.5. Definitely lower than s few weeks ago. Since 55 gallons is what I can easily boil in a day, 1.8% is the cut off to give me a gallon of syrup for my effort. A couple of taps have stopped. Three (?) more boils to go.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Anyone else's sap sugar content drop ?
    The cold stretch early this week actually brought it back up to 2.0 briefly. I've been between 1.7 and 2.0 for a while now... an unusually low sugar year for sure.

The sap has run well the last couple days, but not as well as I would have guessed... I think the taps are starting to dry up.

Few more days.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Sap I picked up today was at 1.3% not to good. Started off 2.25% went down came back a bit. last year seemed to stick at 2% or better for nearly the entire season. Yup feeling the end is near.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Last 2 day run totaled 515 gallons. Just flicked the switch. Sap testing at 2% so holding good here. A little cloudy but not terrible. Should make 10+ gallons today.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Who's still in it? I almost quit, but decided to stick with it a bit longer. I pulled the taps I have in reds, as well as the ones tapped below the mainline. Barely a trickle the last couple days, but it's running ok today, back up to 1.7% sugar. I'm convinced a good portion of my taps have dried up, but the ones on the north side of the trees are still going, as well as the new tubing I put in a week into the season. The plan right now is to boil for two more days and call it a season. I've barely made any dark this year, today's boil was at 35% transmittance. Seems crazy that it still has to go down 10% more to make Very Dark... it seems so dark already and the sap I'm boiling seems like pretty questionable stuff. But the syrup is still coming out fine.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Still plugged in next door to you, reds and sugars. Vacuum lines are running good, others still going but not much. Will have a good amount to boil tomorrow though. We’ve made medium and dark, been a great season. Sap was 1.8 on the boil yesterday. If we get sap again tomorrow, will boil again Thursday. May get a freeze this weekend for one last push but not sure if we’ll stay in for it or not. Knowing me, we will! Keeping every boil separate for a good cold syrup test. So far everything has been good. Give it hell!
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast