+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2020 season

Sap seemed to run decent today after a short freeze up. Seems to be about over in Lewiston so we moved our Shurflo from there up to Sumner to finish out the season. Should get a few more weeks up there. No solar panels on this one but 3 deep cycles should keep it running.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Good run today, at 2% which is normal for us. It's about this time when our season "usually" starts to take off. The snow is melting fast and we seem to be in a spot that starts later but also ends later compared to even a few miles south of us. Made around 20 gallons to this point.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Collecting today and boiling yesterday’s run. Sap still looked pretty clear in the totes yesterday. Will be a busy weekend of bottling for us. We’re going to get 1 shurflo hooked up this weekend as well. Still snow in most of our woods as well.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Well my 100 gallons turned into 260 by the afternoon. Ran most of the night and was still running at 3:30 when I collected. And that’s on gravity, anyone on vacuum must be doing real good. Best run of the year yet. Looks real cold and prime for early next week. Sap still super clear. Cooking right now
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Closing in on 2 gpt since it thawed yesterday, 1.9% brix. Boiled off 1260 gallons in 10 hours, looks like another long day tomorrow. Looks to be the lightest syrup of the year, probably still Amber, but close to Golden. Haven't tested with the Hanna yet.

Stock up on your beer boys, she ran all night, any bit of sun this afternoon and people are going to be real busy!

The 3/16 tubing has really changed the game for me. At 85 gallons of finished syrup is more then I have ever made. I got off to a slow start this year as well. Definitely going to hit the 100 gallon mark by the end of the season. Next year's biggest goals is definitely improvement of sap transportation. Ran 900 gallons through the evaporator last night. Got plenty of wood left so bring on the sap. Little more sugar in it would be nice.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Bottled a little over 15 gallons today, all Amber with excellent flavor. Shurflo got hooked up....Nothing like working on maple stuff with your headlamp on but we got it Sap ran some today. Should have around 150 gallons to boil tomorrow if it doesn’t freeze in the totes. Always nice to have sap for maple Sunday. Just friends and family for us so they still plan to stop by. Keep cooking!
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Through yesterday: 360 gallons of syrup on 15,850 gallons of sap. That's .38 gallons of syrup and 16.7 gallons of sap per tap. I'm hoping for 90 more gallons of syrup, which looks quite possible at this point, and it would be an above average season if I get there.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

8” of snow on thawed ground....but at least it’s good for mapling. Should melt quickly. Looks like a great day for sap and forecast is good through Saturday. Hoping for a big week, good luck everyone!
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast