+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 2020 season

I'm going to pull tomorrow and boil but I think you guys on vac have another run coming this weekend. I just want to get to camp on the mid coast and hunker in place where the ice is out for some salmon and brook trout before the chit hits the fan! Been a good year, a little better than 1 gpt. Stay safe all.

Ran pretty well today, although a late start letting the snow melt off the trees first. Sugar is low, about 1.3%. RO really earns it's keep now! Hoping for a strong run tomorrow. I'll hang on as long as the sap comes in and tastes good...my limiting factor at this point is not having mechanical vacuum. I have 3/16 that works fairly well but it just can't keep the trees running on the extended runs without another freeze.
    Last edited by Road's End; 03-31-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Pulled out on Sunday . Had pretty good freeze Friday night and did not run well Saturday and what I did get was around 1% sugar . I just figured it was time had a great season. I am amazed at how the 3/16 lines performed. Can't wait till next year!!
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

We may pull this weekend, but it looks like a couple of good freezes coming on the weekend. Maybe we'll keep boiling... There's very little else we can do now!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Forecast looks cool middle of next week now. At some point, too many non freezing days in a row and our trees will shutoff. Taps stay in until then!

Collected 180 gallons and it was running pretty hard by 10 AM. Sap from yesterday at 1.6%. Boiling it now and will again tomorrow once it stops.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 04-01-2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added info
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

That's it for me. Barely a freeze last night and the sap didn't run well today. Plus there's only so much 60:1 I can take. Final total should be just shy of 1/2 gallon syrup per tap. Very similar total to last year, it just took more sap to get there.

Yup same here. That sap running hard didn’t last very long this morning. Gravity lines stopped in the afternoon sometime while I was boiling. Vacuum lines pulled marginally all day and left the pump on tonight. If we have 100 gallons to boil Friday morning than I will do that before finishing out the pans. No interest in trying to boil sap through another warm spell. Slightly above average year for us. I’m guessing we’ll end up just shy of 40 gallons. Looks like our last boil this year will be 2 days after our first boil last year. Gotta love Mother Nature!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Yes, that's it for us. We will call it a season on Saturday and chase with water.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

It was a sweet season, even though there was no Maine Maple Weekend. C'est la vie.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789