+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2020 season

Hybrid View

So how did the sap run today? I decided last week to change 400 taps over to 3/16 in my spare time so I'm not ready yet but curious what I am missing. Took down the 5/16 and added about 30 feet in elevation drop so I hope it is all worth it.
    Last edited by twitch; 02-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

While I’ve been away on a fishing trip, my buddy got things ready to go. He said he’ll start tapping this afternoon. I’ll join him when I get home or finish it tomorrow. Good luck everyone, hopefully get a run this week.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    So how did the sap run today? I decided last week to change 400 taps over to 3/16 in my spare time so I'm not ready yet but curious what I am missing. Took down the 5/16 and added about 30 feet in elevation drop so I hope it is all worth it.
    Nothing to speak of yesterday. I finished tapping by 1pm, fired up the vacuum pump around 2 to look for leaks. Some taps were running, but nothing on the shady side of the tree for sure. Today it started around 10 am. I ran sap on the ground until 11:30 to flush the lines, then rinsed the tank and closed the valve. It's looking like I'll get about 1/2 gallon sap/tap. Tomorrow should be a solid run... and first boil of the season!

Interested to hear how the 3/16 do.

Buttoned up a few items at the sugarhouse this morning. Checked the 3/16 lines around noon and they were flowing, not hard but sap was moving. We had a issue with the new snow on top of our tanks holding ice in the lines entering them. Once we cleaned the snow and thawed the lines things were going nice.
    About 80 taps in Lewiston on 5/16 hooked to a Shurflo produced about 40 gallons as of dark and the pump was still going. We will have out first boil this weekend coming up.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

+ Reply to Thread