+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped Monongalia Today

Default Tapped Monongalia Today

I put in 72 taps today. Every hole I drilled was flowing immediately. The next couple of weeks is forecast to be warm. Too warm. My season has begun. I will be phasing in more sections in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with your season!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by llew.williams View Post
    I put in 72 taps today. Every hole I drilled was flowing immediately. The next couple of weeks is forecast to be warm. Too warm. My season has begun. I will be phasing in more sections in the next couple of weeks.
    awesome! have a great season! should run some for you in the next 10 days with this cold spell coming

Default First Syrup into Jars Today

I canned my first run today. 9 pints with a little extra for my kitchen. A very light amber color. I've always been fond of the early syrup. Gotta try it out on some pancakes tomorrow. I collected roughly 100 gallons of sap in the first 24 hours. Then the weather stayed warm and the sap flow almost stopped. I had plenty of time so I ran the RO at a high pressure. I was getting 9-10% concentrate. I'm trying to be a little more gentle with the syrup this year. I want to see if I can make some that is lighter in color this year. I'm going to run the fire a little cooler with less air. Since I have been here I usually ran the evaporator as hard as it would go. Full air. On my previous farm I consistently made lighter syrup, but I was cooking on gas there (free gas well). I'm going to try to run the pan a little deeper too. See what happens. Tapping a few more trees today. Next week looks promising after this cold snap. Nice hard freeze here last night. I still have half of my trees untapped. Waiting a couple more weeks.

+ Reply to Thread