+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of tapping 1/17, 1/18 2020

Default Thinking of tapping 1/17, 1/18 2020

The weather has been very mild so far this winter in Louisville area. The overnight lows starting on 1/20 look favorable with upper 20's and 30, with daytime highs in the 40's for that week. Of course, that's too far out for any real accuracy but what are you gonna do, lol!
    I'm more concerned with completely missing the season if I don't go ahead and tap soon. Around here, mid February can be the start of warmer weather.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

I'm with you! I'm in Southwestern Ohio and I'm planning to tap that weekend, too. I only have about 15 trees, but I still get excited and anxious to get out there. People keep saying we've got some colder weather coming, but like you, I'm worried about missing the season entirely.

Im thinking the same thing. Might tap a few test trees. Gonna hold out for the possibility of colder weather in early Feb but its certainly a risk these days.

Yes, the weather has been crazy. I haven't tapped yet but if the weather forecast holds out, I'm thinking this coming weekend, too. I know of a few that have tapped here in southeast Kentucky and southwest Virginia. Hopefully this weather will cooperate.
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

4 days next week are looking good here. I suppose its going to be a little colder up there. Im looking at tapping tomorrow or Monday.

I tapped yesterday, about 100 taps. Rain early, then stopped around 1:30 in the afternoon. Temp was in the upper 40's, dropping overnight. The high today forecast is mid 20's. Sap was running yesterday, but everything is frozen now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Dave Barker
    2022 150 taps

Finally got some taps in, here in Harlan County, on Friday. Everything is frozen solid right now but it should break tomorrow or Thursday. Hoping for a good run.
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

How's it going guys? Slow here , Ive collected about 15 gallons.

We've only collected once, about ~130 gallons last Saturday the 25th. I tapped a few days before based on weather forecasts at the time, but the weather has been lousy since; neither cold nor warm! The forecast for the next few days is low 60's high, 50's at night - no weather for sap flow. The extended forecast, for what it is worth (not much apparently) shows better weather the following week.
    Dave Barker
    2022 150 taps

Sounds outstanding to me! Id say we are done down here. 130 gal is solid man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast