+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple sugar

Default Maple sugar

I was wondering when cooking syrup down to make granular sugar if adding a little bit of butter to keep from boiling over will it affect the transition into sugar at the end
    16x24 sap house
    3x12 G.H.Grimm raised flue
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    3x12 leader max revolution
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

I wouldn't do it. If anything just put some on a paper towel and go around the rim with a small coating. Just stir it a little when it gets close to foaming over. Also do less in the pan per batch.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I take a stick of butter and go around the edge of the pan. Then as it starts to foam up I turn my heat down about half way. At the same time I take my stick of butter and dip into the foam and move it around. I make about 1.5 to 2 gallons of syrup at a time. As the foam settles and syrup temp is rising I slowly turn the heat back up. Usually takes me about 1.5 hrs to get it heated up to 260 degrees. I'll usually do 2 batches at a time staggering my finish time about a half hr. In that half hr I can beat the moisture out and sift the batch just when the 2nd batch is finishing. Good luck. Like anything the more you do it the easier it gets.

I use defomer around the edge and a couple drops in the syrup. I have had it boil over. Deeper pan is better too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the info. I normally just put a ring on edge of pot and that works well. This yr just having major problems trying to get sugar I've been ending up with a big ball of dough. I normally use 3 qts per batch cook to 260-262 and let cool for ten minutes or so then turn on my turntable cream machine but just never wants to turn to sugar I end up with a ball of dough. Switched to 1 qt batches and a 6qt kitchenaid mixer and still not turning out.
    16x24 sap house
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

Your problem is your invert sugar is not right. Mix it with some better syrup and it will turn out. You need syrup below 2% invert sugar. Above that and you end up with a big glob. Just a note on using butter for a defoamer I think if you sell your product you need to list it on the label as it is a allergen and some people could have a allergic reaction to it .

I use a few drops of canola oil as needed, but mostly I control things with a deep pot and lowering the temp. It doesn't take much heat to keep the mixture boiling once you are north of 230 or 240.

Hey maplenutter butter, I also piggyback my batches to save time. How clean do you get your mixer bowl before the second batch goes into it? I've wondered if residual sugar or hardened taffy has an effect on how the second batch sets up.

Quote Originally Posted by maplenutter butter View Post
    I'll usually do 2 batches at a time staggering my finish time about a half hr. In that half hr I can beat the moisture out and sift the batch just when the 2nd batch is finishing. Good luck. Like anything the more you do it the easier it gets.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I was thinking that the invert was wrong but what i can't figure out is that the same syrup will make cream and candy just fine
    16x24 sap house
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I use a few drops of canola oil as needed, but mostly I control things with a deep pot and lowering the temp. It doesn't take much heat to keep the mixture boiling once you are north of 230 or 240.

Hey maplenutter butter, I also piggyback my batches to save time. How clean do you get your mixer bowl before the second batch goes into it? I've wondered if residual sugar or hardened taffy has an effect on how the second batch sets up.
    I actually have a few different stainless pots that I have dedicated to making sugar and mix right in the pot off of the stove. I had a mixer made for my cordless drill. It kinda looks like a paint mixing wand. It scratches the pan a little but not enough I can't keep using my pan.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson maple View Post
    I was thinking that the invert was wrong but what i can't figure out is that the same syrup will make cream and candy just fine
    Humm,
    That just doesnt sound right? I would have guessed the same thing on the invert sugar level. Have you made sugar with this syrup before? Also I dont let my syrup cool when doing sugar. May not hurt a thing, just my method of starting to stir right away. At 260 it should make sugar like crazy. Humm. There is something we are missing and maybe it is just the invert? I try to use early season syrup for sugar. I dont check invert any more, probably should just too lazy and seem to have good luck with making sugar. I still say its in your syrup not your method. Only other thing would be to make sure your temp is accurate. Which You probably have done that. Make a small batch like 2 cups and stir it by hand. I have never made it in a cream paddle machine but it may fine.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast