+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tapping in PA yet?

Howard, Folks,
    You know, now that you mentioned it. Several years ago we tapped the roadside trees and walked/plodded on about two feet of snow. Took 3 days to tap.Had to dig out a location for each container to get them down near the ground, so that when it did thaw the containers were stable.
    When we went to pull the taps they were as expected, two feet higher than normal! So last Monday when I tapped it was so nice out! I even surprised myself getting the 600 taps in at a rate of about 100 per hour. As you say they are in! We will wait for the next runs now and not have to worry about when to tap. Its done!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-08-2020 at 08:04 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Well here comes the cold for maybe a week or more? We will see if we get any runs for a while. Keeping busy with maple products. Hope folks down south get some sap.
    It will warm again someday!
    Keep boiling!

Regards,
    Chris
    WOW... That is all I can say....
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Default Starting in Mercer

Last weekend, we were not quite ready and I was willing to be patient while nice days went by. The plan was to tap tomorrow but at 3:00 this afternoon the weather forecast here was just on the edge of making me want to jump in so we went on hold for another week. At 7:00 tonight the weather forecast showed the highs another degree higher and I saw that Sugarmaker was tapped 40 miles north of me. So I called the guys and we are tapping tomorrow. I did get the opportunity to go over to Pulaski tonight and see a friend boil on my old rig. Great memories! It's a rare thing to get to sit around someone else's shack since when one is boiling, all are boiling. Here's to great runs and high percentages!
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Skeller,
    Thanks I think!
    Just they way we roll in our little operation.

Springfield Acer,
    Might not be good to follow my lead. Looks like I didn't time it very well.

Folks,
    I was able to participate in the tapping of a new sugarbush coming on line down the road a piece from me. Helped the Ellis family get started with 6 buckets, 4 lids and 6 spiles.

It was good!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Yea, I had the same reaction when I saw the pictures. WOW. You have a really nice setup Chris.

We trotted through the snow today and put in a couple hundred taps. Hundred or so left to go. Hoping we get some slow runs tomorrow to flush out the lines so we can start collecting Monday.
    2019 290 taps on 3/16"
    2018 20 taps on milk jugs
    2017 10 taps on milk jugs

iby,
    Thanks! We try. It sound like your just about ready! We have the sugarhouse inspection set for Monday morning. Hoping to get one run this next week? Accuweather is showing a good warming trend the following week We shall see.
    Lots of very nice sugarhouses around here. Come up and visit us on the 16th annual Maple Taste and Tour weekend, March 14th and 15th. (10 to 4). 19 Sugarhouses will open up for the public to learn about making maple syrup. Check our association web site www.pamaple.org
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Skeller,
    Thanks I think!
    Just they way we roll in our little operation.

Springfield Acer,
    Might not be good to follow my lead. Looks like I didn't time it very well.

Folks,
    I was able to participate in the tapping of a new sugarbush coming on line down the road a piece from me. Helped the Ellis family get started with 6 buckets, 4 lids and 6 spiles.

It was good!
    Regards,
    Chris
    That is so cute!

I'm just south of Pittsburgh & planning on tapping this week, was out of the country last week or I would have done it then. And get my husband to set up my RO machine!

Big run today - it's 42 right now - and the run will keep going all night as it is not going to freeze tonight. This season is starting off with quite a bang!
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Today was good! Did my first collection tonight...225gallon @ just over 2%! My trees are usually way under 2%. Running it through the RO now. I doubt I will boil until Wednesday tho...to busy.

Funny/not funny story. I built a friend an evaporator and 2x3 flat pan. It’s his 2nd year and he was itching to expand. I was driving I79south from work to deliver everything to my buddy and lost the pan somewhere!!! I drove all the way back to work and retraced my route. Nothing! Hopefully the car behind me didnt hit it. Luckily the pan didnt cost me anything and our laser department has 2 more pans already cut. Everyone in our shop wants to make syrup now. haha.

DC1A4A22-1375-496F-A28A-F42BAC707A5A.jpg

307AFF55-2F62-4B38-A190-79BE5AB4E15F.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast