+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tapping in PA yet?

Tonight might be our last boil. We boiled 140 gallons of 1.1% last night and just finishing up another 140 gallons of 1% tonight. Syrup is very dark but tastes good. We probably only have enough wood for 100 or so gallons of sap. We've made 21 gallons of syrup so far. We'll finish the front pan and give my co-worker the rear pan sweet. We passed our syrup goal so no need to continue. Trees look fine and I'm sure this could last a few more weeks.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Plan to pull my taps on Sunday. The forecast has no freezing temps after that. Looks like I will get about 6.75 pints of syrup this year which is down from 17 last year. We hardly had any cold nights.
    Last edited by Skeller001; 11-27-2020 at 08:23 AM.
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    Accuweather.com has just joined weather.com in predicting no frosts next week. I'll be pulling my taps on Monday or Tuesday, unless the forecast has changed by then.
    Forecasts have changed yet again! Now accuweather is calling for 4 freezes next week, while weather.com is calling for 3 nights with lows at 32 or 33. The weather was perfect yesterday for a *huge* flow, but I only got a moderate flow -- probably due to the healing of the holes. If you have 3/16 or vacuum, you probably aren't getting the same slowdown.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Folks,
    I have had several offers of firewood and even called about some of the eco bricks. I did get a trailer load of seasoned firewood from The Willows at Conneautee Sugarhouse when I visited and watched Jim make syrup last night. I gathered sap yesterday and dropped some off at K&B sugarhouse, for them to make a little extra syrup for the Taste & Tour. Gathered almost 500 gallons today and most were still running pretty strong at dark. Helping neighbor gather sap from his trees he fell and cut his nose. Hope its no more serious than that. Be careful out there.
    On the picture thing. New phone takes awesome pictures and I like to share!
    That Driveway sugarhouse looks just fine to me. I like to see sap boiled!
    Have just finished gathering another 350 today. So there is about 900 + of raw sap waiting to be boiled! Too Much! Perfect!

Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I expected some big runs but things just arent flowing like i thought. Holes might be healing some plus the cold overcast pittsburgh days arent helping. I was already planning on shutting down this weekend...depends on how tomorrow goes...I might wait a couple days to catch the last of this run. It’s been fun. I have family and friends coming over tomorrow to check things out. Maybe 1 or 2 more boils left but I’m definitely wrapping things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a awesome picture! The steam is trapped in the canopy. Very nice.
    I worked on a few things maple too; Candy , gathering buckets and watching someone else boil sap too. That 900 gallons of 2% sap turned into 21 gallons of Amber and Darl last night finishing our syrup production at 150 gallons for the season. Still will be in the sap business to help out some folks this week. And visiting sugarhouse in the area.
    Famous Maple candy dipped in milk chocolate:

Helping Jim R gather in Cambridge Springs PA

Father and Son fire up for 2020 in Linesville PA

Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 03-07-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Just in from boiling 240 gallons of 2% into 5 gallons of Amber Rich. It lightened up from last nights boil. Big shout out to Dave Yochim from Creekside Welding and Machine. He stopped by tonight and made some adjustments on the fuel oil gun and greatly improved the boil in the front pan.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I'm done for the year. I ended up with 93% of the syrup I made last year and 76% of my record year.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-09-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Seasons over for me. Pulled my taps today.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I am done also. Finished with 15 gallons....up 2 gallons from last year. New PR and it felt like less work and more enjoyable.

Pretty happy the weather stayed low enough that this was mostly a weekend hobby. It becomes hard when you are struggling with warm temps and sap midweek while working and running kids to practices.

Time to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast