+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tapping in PA yet?

The end of the cold snap has brought another good sap flow in Mercer but we boiled 200 gal tonight to only make 2 gal of syrup. Before the break, we were 50:1 and making a gallon an hour. Tonight it's half that. I'm hoping it's some frozen stuff hanging around in the lines and tanks and tomorrow will get better but if not, we're close to done as I cannot see burning a cord of wood to make only ten gallons of syrup. I also discovered that my sap hydro is off but in the wrong direction. I checked it in my hydro in condensate expecting it to be 'zero' but it floated right about where it would read -1%. My sap was reading 1.7 and if I adjust, it would be 2.7. Boils more like 0.7.
    We were a good two weeks ahead of last years record total and now...... who knows?
    I need an RO.....
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Paddymountain, My wife reminded me we stopped by your place 6-7 years ago. Hope things are going well and the end is near for us also!

Springfield Acer, when we were over we heard rumors of a new sugar shack You've mentioned your dads place. Nice driveway access for all the neighbors sap when you get that RO.

We've got about a half hour to go. It was a BIG sap run. 335 gallons in 24 hours. Only 1.1%. I too get tied of boiling this stuff! I think the rule of 86 is a farce! All that sap and we've made about 3 gallons of syrup. It's dark and very robust, more than I like. I know someone with a lot of GD. Maybe we could blend some and help each other out?
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

I am relieved to see that the production rate is back up to a gal/chr and my hydro is fine. I was testing it in warm condensate. Should a known better!
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets

That new shack was more wishful thinking than anything. I'm too cheap but, who knows.
    And sure, we can blend some. I've got 5 gallons of pretty light stuff to do that with.
    600 gal Zero tank

I need an RO first!
    600 gal Zero tank

Folks,
    Maybe done for the season, except for whats in the pan which I should boil and get out of there. Should have done that last night when I finished but I was tired and sometimes your season just ends a little short. Option is to haul some sap to folks or round up some more wood. Will see when I get to the sugarhouse this morning. There is no real plan here. one move at a time, mostly forward. Anyway we have made 129 gallons of syrup on just under 6000 gallons of sap. Made 98 gallons of GD and the rest is Amber.
    Many moves to do for the upcoming event.
    Weather looks really good for those getting started at this time. Ground is warmer, nights are freezing and the sap will be flowing! May get to visit some sugarhouses to?
    Had a sugarhouse full of family and friends last night! Very enjoyable and makes it all worth it! Also a nice four generation picture With Cheryl, Kelly, Mike and Chloe!

Granddaughter Marly at the controls:

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default Anyone tapping in PA yet?

Very nice Chris!

Im wrapping up Sunday. On track to beat last years 13gallons. I should reach 15+ if the forecast holds and trees produce. The driveway setup this year worked out well so far.

Cheers,
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sbedilion; 03-04-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Why I like Accuweather better (today)

There are two online websites that I check approximately 5 times per day during maple syrup season: weather.com and accuweather.com. Generally I've found accuweather to be slightly more accurate as far as the low of the upcoming night is concerned, but weather.com has been slightly more accurate as far as the long-term forecast (5 days away or more) is concerned.

Right now I prefer accuweather.com. Why? Because weather.com predicts a frost on Saturday night followed by no additional frosts for the foreseeable future. Accuweather, on the other hand, predicts the same frost on Saturday night followed by frosts on Wednesday night, Thursday night and the next Saturday night. It has been a good season so far, but not great. If Accuweather is correct, it could become a great season.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-04-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Chris, those a really great pictures. And what memories you are creating for those children. Congrats to you.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Accuweather.com has just joined weather.com in predicting no frosts next week. I'll be pulling my taps on Monday or Tuesday, unless the forecast has changed by then.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-05-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast