+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tapping in PA yet?

Thanks! I have a buddy that lives near Lancaster and regularly drives back to western PA. I'll have him stop....he owes me a favor anyways. ha. I see Fillmore sells those 1.7oz little bottles also at a good price. I've been looking for them to give to friends and coworkers to try.

I'll have to plan a visit after I wrap up my syrup season. I usually wrap up earlier than you guys (too many hobbies to continue very far into March).

You must be talking about these jars:

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/r0...ct-1-12oz.html

They'd make great wedding favors!
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-20-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

yeah....those are them. everywhere i've seen them, they end up costing to much to justify filling them up and giving them away to friends. fillmore prices are pretty good on these.

We had 300 gallons of sap Wednesday. Boiled it all which sweetened the pans and made a couple gallons syrup. Probably upper end of amber. Had a bunch of company over also. May host a 4H club Sunday. Went and saw the neighbors Mason 2X3 yesterday. It looks nice for the beginner. I gave some advice on bricking and stack. Will be able to see a boil soon. We've been into almonds lately. Made a pound of coated nuts and some almond butter with syrup tonight. We need some warm weather. Looks like the big one coming in a few days! Good luck!
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Glad to hear u guys boiling to the south!! Completely froze solid up here. 7 last night 20 today 11 tonight. No warm up till sunday and even then not sure how I'm gonna thaw anything out to get to boiling. Need to get some electric to my shack!!!

Folks,
    We are froze up too. And with a cold sugarhouse its time to takes stock and get some rest for the big week long run next week. If you can believe the forecast it may run every day for a week! If that would happen I would be done before the first of March! Well the wood would be gone. We will see. Might be good to go see some other sugarhouses too?
    Scott and I helped neighbor Keith get some details wrapped up in the woods and sugarhouse. He and Bonnie made some nice amber syrup and are on their way for the season! Thanks Scott!
    We are starting to market Golden Delicate with a spin towards the process and mother nature. Going to be interesting. It has been one of the coldest syrup seasons for start up that I can remember.
    Yes we have a cold un-insulated sugarhouse. We have had ICE in the sap containers almost every time we gathered. Many fits and starts. Sap has been excellent as the weather has been cold. Several times we have had ICE in the evaporator pans too! Several times we have had to build a small FIRE in the King arch to keep things from freezing to tight.

If you can figure out the new marketing tool for the GD syrup you win the prize. Here are some clues:

You may start to see a theme here:

Here are the samples from each of the 7 firings where we made 2020 syrup:

I had friends pick up a 2020 grading kit from WIggers, in Clymer NY, today for me and checked the syrup we have made.

FYI I have a 2014 kit that was one of the bad ones and it has way to light of Golden Delicate in it. This new one is much better. And our syrup is lighter than the GD in the kit.

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Been tapped in for a few weeks but I've had a sick kid for a lot of that time. Still have managed to gather about 140 gallons from 22 taps so for me I'm doing good. The RO machine my husband built has been so useful!

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    Thanks! I have a buddy that lives near Lancaster and regularly drives back to western PA. I'll have him stop....he owes me a favor anyways. ha. I see Fillmore sells those 1.7oz little bottles also at a good price. I've been looking for them to give to friends and coworkers to try.

I'll have to plan a visit after I wrap up my syrup season. I usually wrap up earlier than you guys (too many hobbies to continue very far into March).
    How are things working out with the new high school behind you? Are you still tapping trees on the property?

Quote Originally Posted by helptheold View Post
    Been tapped in for a few weeks but I've had a sick kid for a lot of that time. Still have managed to gather about 140 gallons from 22 taps so for me I'm doing good. The RO machine my husband built has been so useful!

How are things working out with the new high school behind you? Are you still tapping trees on the property?
    I gave up on the golf course. My inlaws have 100+ acres in lone pine. I have 85 taps that lead to a 275 tank that I usually collect once a week. Roughly 200+ gallons of sap per week @ 2%. I’m wrapping up this wk’s sap now. I havent finished any...but I should be at 10 gallons when I do.

Current view....

768F1DDD-4421-437C-983F-DF54C8904E12.jpg768F1DDD-4421-437C-983F-DF54C8904E12.jpg

you should stop by sometime.

Well this year hasn't been as good as last year, but I'm still having fun and making syrup. Today I made about 3 pints of syrup taking my total this year up to 5.5 pints. I have had a lot of days where we haven't gone below freezing. My barrel contraption with 2 pans on the top is a lot better than the turkey fryer but I am losing a lot of heat. I need to figure out a way to contain it more before next year.
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

I had the same problem with my 2x3 cement block arch. It was like the flames and all were going right up the pipe. Couldn't even get my pan to boil!!! I put a cement block right in the center of the thing to just deflect the flames. 100 times better. I also have a barrel stove that I use for a preheated. But instead of pans infuse 2 16quart stock pots the one in the back sits right in front of the chimney exit so the flames have no choice but to wrap right around it to exit. Works very good. Bi also lined ny barrel with bricks to help hold some heat in. I would try to out something In there to deflect the flames up. Even stack some bricks or a 2x4x8 cement block. U will be surprised what little modifications will do to create a big difference. I will take some pics of the inside of mine to show you if u would like

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast