+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tapped my early Trees today

The flow has been pathetic over the past few days but the temperatures have hovered around freezing. I expect it to flow this weekend with a high of 40*, and then gush on Monday when the temps are above 50*. I just hope my silver maples don't bud
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by jdircksen View Post
    The flow has been pathetic over the past few days but the temperatures have hovered around freezing. I expect it to flow this weekend with a high of 40*, and then gush on Monday when the temps are above 50*. I just hope my silver maples don't bud
    The weather has been lousy here in Louisville this week. Neither cold nor warm enough. We had a good run last Saturday, but not much since.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Well for all the grumbling about small runs now it's too much sap in a sap tsunami. Had 100 gallons this morning and the lines are all running like freight trains all day so tomorrow I may just drown in sap. I managed to get the 100 gallons done with 10 left for cool down in 6.5 hrs so that's pretty efficient for my little full pint (just shy of 14 gal /hr). Sugar has not come back up though, I'm averaging 1.3 -1.5%. It's making good medium and so far filtering pretty well. It looks like a big sap week and then temps in mid 50s to 60 next week. I may just call it a season if it gets that warm and I have at least 15 gallon made. Sitting at just under 10 now and my pan is super sweet, so tomorrow will be a big day if I live through it.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Default 2020 maple season

So I have 52 taps in 43 trees. So far I made 9.9 gallons of syrup. It's been an ok year! The flow right now is spectacular. Should have another 60 -80 gallons ofsap by morning. Going to be a long couple days.

Just passed the 100gal mark of sap on 41 taps and having a very low sugar content around 1%. Thank goodness for RO it’s saving me a bunch of time boiling it down. Hoping to draw off next boil and I will see how much syrup I have doubt it will be over 2gal.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Well for all the grumbling about small runs now it's too much sap in a sap tsunami. Had 100 gallons this morning and the lines are all running like freight trains all day so tomorrow I may just drown in sap. I managed to get the 100 gallons done with 10 left for cool down in 6.5 hrs so that's pretty efficient for my little full pint (just shy of 14 gal /hr). Sugar has not come back up though, I'm averaging 1.3 -1.5%. It's making good medium and so far filtering pretty well. It looks like a big sap week and then temps in mid 50s to 60 next week. I may just call it a season if it gets that warm and I have at least 15 gallon made. Sitting at just under 10 now and my pan is super sweet, so tomorrow will be a big day if I live through it.
    Buckeye I know how you felt. Fired pump up afternoon of 9th. had brought up 600 gallon sap by evening of 11th. got little over 30 gallon syrup so far, sugar at 1.6%. looks like this Sunday thru Tuesday be another long run of pump.
    Niter has gotten pretty bad right now.
    24"x57" homemade evaporator
    with forced air
    24"x24" syrup pan with hood
    24"x33" drop flue pan with hood and pre-heater
    Homemade 12 gallon canner with steam heater
    UV light for 2011
    homemade RO for 2012 (no more raw sap for me)
    Added 2nd RO membrane in 2013
    Gas powered Gast Vacuum Pump
    Built RO room for 2020

MFarmall - Did you get those squirrels spiced up

I had over 100 gallons of sap three days in a row off 78 taps on 3/16th. The biggest day was 130 gallons, but I pushed my little evaporator to the limits and got it all done in daylight hours each day. I finally just give up on the 40 early taps, because the main woods was producing so well. If this coming week does what I think it will I'll call it quits at the end of the week. I'm just shy of 14 gallon now with a super sweet pan that I probably should have drawn off of yesterday. I'm guessing there's at least a half gallon sitting in it ready to draw.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Got them spiced up where they are the worst. Have to get back and check if need to do it again after next rain. Must be working, last year could tell with vacuum dropping they were busy. Find holes and fix them. So far vac levels holding where started.
    24"x57" homemade evaporator
    with forced air
    24"x24" syrup pan with hood
    24"x33" drop flue pan with hood and pre-heater
    Homemade 12 gallon canner with steam heater
    UV light for 2011
    homemade RO for 2012 (no more raw sap for me)
    Added 2nd RO membrane in 2013
    Gas powered Gast Vacuum Pump
    Built RO room for 2020

Glad to hear your making some headway against the bushy tailed devils. I had to declare all out war after they eat all my peaches last year and chewed up so much line.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234