+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Missouri activity

I took a vacation day and tapped 17 trees. It never got above freezing. It feels good to get some trees tapped. I still have about 35 maple trees and 15 walnut trees to tap. That is a task for this weekend. I am plumb tuckered out and enjoying a beer now.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

We're going to get after it this weekend. I've been hesitant to tap-most nights have been above freezing, but now there's a good cold spell coming. I'm actually glad the weather hasn't been productive, because with all the work we've been putting into upgrades, we haven't had time to tap anyway, and that's with working many hours under a headlamp. Also, we had major flooding a week ago which makes our woods mostly inaccessible. We've put up 2000 feet of mainline with 2000 feet of new/replaced laterals. Just have a few more saddles to install and the RO to wire and then we'll be ready to roll.
    All I can say is that I have one awesome wife. She's been by my side for nearly all of it. We were out until 11 last night installing laterals.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

I tapped 15 walnut trees this morning and every one was dripping sap. The temperature was 41 deg. Walnut bark is quite a bit thicker than sugar maple trees bark so at the end of last season I purchased some longer stainless steel taps I found online. I took a picture of the two style of taps and put it in my gallery in season 2020. The lip on the new taps flares out and makes it very difficult to get the down tubes over them. I cursed every one I put on. My fingers are worn out after putting on just 15 of them. Next year I am going to grind off the lips. Nothing is ever easy.
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

I tapped 20 more sugar maple trees today. They were not running like the walnut trees are. I have a about 15 more to tap. Let the sap flow. I am ready to cook up some sap.
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

I finished tapping today. 50 sugar maple and 15 walnut trees. Let the sap flow.
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

I got 28 gallons when I collected Sat 1/18. 38 gallon for the year so far. Some ran heavy, some none at all. I plan on tapping a few more. Hopefully the season starts out well for all.
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

we went to the woods and tapped 24 tress on friday 01/17 2020 collected 13 gallons on Saturday. ended up with 2 qts syrup. hopefully next week is better, will probably go out on wenesday and collect sap.

I tapped 77 trees on Sunday 1/19; despite (or maybe because of) the wind, the trees were dripping nicely, then the sap froze and will remain frozen for several days. I hope to tap the remaining trees tomorrow and harvest a big batch. Also FYI, please visit the website of the Columbia Missourian for a nice article today about Missouri syrupmakers. John
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Greetings from Southeast Missouri!

I have six acres with scattered maples of up to 18 years of age on my property. Tried tapping for the first time February 2018. Got almost a gallon of syrup out of first 10, then a total of 15 taps. All of which was probably under done, due to the thermometers I used. Also tried my hand at Birch when the maple ran out and decided not to mess with that again. Tried Black Walnut and only got a gallon of sap, that I didn't even mess with.

Missed 2019, due to being out of town.

This year, I've got 17 taps up as of Saturday (started Friday in the rain) and have processed a whopping 7.5 gallons of sap for a yield of a little over a pint of syrup. <grin> Small time here. With lows around/below freezing and daytime highs in the low 40's, trees seem to be running fair. I'm getting 12 of the bags/hangers/spiles by the end of the week, so will up things a bit. Got another almost four gallons last night as it was getting dark and will go out to check and see how the day is progressing, probably pick up late this afternoon. Most of my collection is into gallon bottles, with two of my largest/twin maples on a 5-gallon bucket and two spiles going into each bucket.

Currently processing is in a turkey fryer, so low efficiency.
    IMG_20200126_111005.jpg
    IMG_20200127_120924.jpg

Goals:
    'Find' a decent pan, may turn my hand to boiling down over a wood fire.
    Syrup hydrometer

John

Welcome JayTee. Sounds like a great start.
    I only got 10 gallons of sap from my 60ish taps 1/19 - 1/25 I was hoping for more. I was curious to see if last week's haul was down or up for the rest of the Missouri guys?
    Last edited by oldcabin; 02-02-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast