+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Missouri activity

I took a vacation day and tapped 17 trees. It never got above freezing. It feels good to get some trees tapped. I still have about 35 maple trees and 15 walnut trees to tap. That is a task for this weekend. I am plumb tuckered out and enjoying a beer now.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

We're going to get after it this weekend. I've been hesitant to tap-most nights have been above freezing, but now there's a good cold spell coming. I'm actually glad the weather hasn't been productive, because with all the work we've been putting into upgrades, we haven't had time to tap anyway, and that's with working many hours under a headlamp. Also, we had major flooding a week ago which makes our woods mostly inaccessible. We've put up 2000 feet of mainline with 2000 feet of new/replaced laterals. Just have a few more saddles to install and the RO to wire and then we'll be ready to roll.
    All I can say is that I have one awesome wife. She's been by my side for nearly all of it. We were out until 11 last night installing laterals.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    500+ taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

I tapped 15 walnut trees this morning and every one was dripping sap. The temperature was 41 deg. Walnut bark is quite a bit thicker than sugar maple trees bark so at the end of last season I purchased some longer stainless steel taps I found online. I took a picture of the two style of taps and put it in my gallery in season 2020. The lip on the new taps flares out and makes it very difficult to get the down tubes over them. I cursed every one I put on. My fingers are worn out after putting on just 15 of them. Next year I am going to grind off the lips. Nothing is ever easy.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12