+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Missouri activity

Hybrid View

Default 2020 Missouri activity

The fever is starting to build here in Missouri.... Got a text from someone around Jackson MO who tapped trees on 12/31 and today, NewYears day, and his trees are running. Looks like Missouri will have the first harvest of 2020 in the US. Everyone, try to keep in touch here on mapletrader's Missouri posting site. I'm watching the forecast and getting my concrete blocks put together for the arch. Our 4-wheeler will come out of the shop tomorrow, and depending on weather forecasts, I may be hauling sap by this time next week. And if you know a beginner who has a lot of questions, tell em to go to the website of the Missouri Maple Syrup Initiative, www.mosyrup.com . Thanks. UncleJohn
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Good luck to my neighbors to the south.We have 5-6 weeks yet before I normally get started but there are still many things to do.Marc

Nice website, Uncle John. This is my second winter of not tapping since I moved to a property without sugar maples. I must say, I've been thinking about how hard it would be to decide when to tap this year--the weather has been so warm that I think I would wait to see if we get a better opportunity later in the winter. Hopefully we have a good frozen month of weather between January and February. But I'm out of the game now, so it's easy for me to make proclamations that I don't have to back up with my actions.

I tapped 15 walnut trees this morning and every one was dripping sap. The temperature was 41 deg. Walnut bark is quite a bit thicker than sugar maple trees bark so at the end of last season I purchased some longer stainless steel taps I found online. I took a picture of the two style of taps and put it in my gallery in season 2020. The lip on the new taps flares out and makes it very difficult to get the down tubes over them. I cursed every one I put on. My fingers are worn out after putting on just 15 of them. Next year I am going to grind off the lips. Nothing is ever easy.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

Also JayTee, go to my website mosyrup.com I have photos of Missourians making syrup, and some use the stainless steel "steam table trays" mounted on concrete blocks, as a low cost way of boiling. John

Good Evening unclejohn,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can hook-up with Goggleeye. He may well be who I've bought local syrup from!

I've actually visited your site, paged through photos and have been scouting for steam table trays on Craigslist, Salvation Army, Teen Challenge (local entitiy with a store like Salvation Army) the local Facebook 'For Sale' group and local metal scrap places. Have not exhausted all of them yet, but am looking.

So, is it appropriate to post questions in this group, or is there a better, 'Beginners' area of the forum?

John

Light and buttery, with a hint of squirrel..
    This last week brought me 88 gallons on my 60ish taps. Much better than the week before. So far I'd say a great Jan despite the odd weather start.
    Keep us posted on the walnut trees, I always wondered about those. I have just a few, and don't want to run a separate batch just for them.
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

Well, schedule allowed me to get out into the woods today. I managed to tap some trees, none of them were running. I am also unsure with the weather this season. I am thinking the see-saw temps will get things going this week.
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

I tapped about 35 trees yesterday (Jan 5). They were running but not enthusiastically. Probably will run good today after low in the mid 20's, now a sunny morning with high to be upper 40s. Will tap more trees after this rain event supposedly coming later this week. John

I finished tapping today. 50 sugar maple and 15 walnut trees. Let the sap flow.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast