+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2020

After the marginal freeze I did get 250 gallons of sap today. It's going to be really cold tonight and may not thaw enough to get much of a run tomorrow.

I'm over the halfway point now. I made 10.5 gallons today to put me at 101.5 for the season. I'd like to make 200 gallons but probably won't.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

:-(

I really hope we get a bit of a cold spell, but I am not seeing it after today.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

I just got the news that the NHMPA is canceling maple weekend and the rest of maple month. I'll be around and will be open if anybody wants to stop by to buy syrup and value added products but I won't be setting up the sales and sampling table like I usually do. I'll boil in the afternoon if I have sap but won't boil all day and won't save sap for the weekend.

The NHMPA is talking about trying to do something in the fall. They tried that before and it didn't work. The people want to see a sugar house in operation, which means boiling and making syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

I am going to do the same, I'll be Open and I won't turn anyone away. But I'm not going to advertise or do soft serve icecreams or anything like that. Might do a couple Sugar on snow/ice , for a few die hards.

I did an open house 2 days over Labor day weekend a few years ago, I still had a pile of syrup, I had some customers and people that came but overall I didn't make but maybe 100.00$ after I paid all my expenses. So I decided that my holiday weekend was worth a little more than that and don't do it anymore.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 03-16-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I do fall open house anyway. Usually the begining of november, same weekend as NH OPEN DOORS. withe the NH league of craftsmen. We have since steered away from then as they have done stuff this past year we didnt agree with. It's about a 5th or less of the crowds that come out for spring maple weekend. I sacrifice a 1/2 gallon of syrup on the front pan and just us a stopper to control water flow from the back pan to the fro t pan to get the aroma. Works well. With advertising from the NHMPA and people understand we lost big money being open for maple weekend I believe they will come out to see us and support the locals.

I am at a solid 1/2 crop. 50 gallons finally. But with super low SSC and crappy sap and short boils I am back into VD. Very little sap in yesterday but we only to 36* after 20* low. And forecast is not favorable. I hope I make through next weeks without buds popping. 73* on Friday maybe but a freeze up for the weekend. Hope we get big sap when things start flowing again.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

They're predicting 66* for a high here Friday and after the cold weather this week I'm sure that my trees will survive that. I brought up 285 gallons tonight that has been coming in since Sunday afternoon. I'll see what I get overnight to determine when I'll boil again.

I'm willing to give a fall open house a try. I think this weekend will be a flop. The good thing is that the people that come, if any do, will be looking to buy stuff and the ones looking to fill up on free samples will stay home.

Our special friends will still get samples when no one's looking.
    Russ

Russ, I wonder what kind of crowd you would get if you advertise a free roll of toilet paper with each purchase?
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Russ, I wonder what kind of crowd you would get if you advertise a free roll of toilet paper with each purchase?
    I didn't think of that but it would probably work. The problem with that is that I didn't hoard TP like all of the idiots that did and would run out of my own supply.
    Russ

The sap ran pretty good today. I had 285 in the tank that I collected last evening. I got another 525 today which gave me 810 for tonight's boil. I made 13 gallons to bring the season total to 114.5 gallons. It looks like I'll be saving the sap from tomorrow and Friday for Saturday. My north facing trees decided to run today which was nice for a change.

The shop vac that I use on my bubbler died tonight. Looks like I'll be replacing that tomorrow. I hope that I can find one that will be a direct fit and not have to screw around making it work.
    Russ

The sap ran good overnight and not to bad today. I decided to boil tonight and made another 10 gallons. It's Very dark and very tasty.

I bought a new shop vac and got the bubbler fixed today.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast