+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    You realize you can't sugar in NC...right? It's a shame you're only going to get 1 season as a retiree. Sugaring should be a breeze this year.

I sold it, but I forget what I got for it. It was a while ago. I don't think there's much money in them because of the 300gph hobby machines are pretty cheap...sorry, cost effective.
    The hobby RO's and the homemade RO's are cutting into the 250 professional RO market for sure. You are right, they are pretty cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Russ, I may be interested in that RO when you’re ready to sell it. Let me know if you don’t have others in mind already. And congrats on retirement, enjoy the time off!
    I'll keep you in mind.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

It's a beautiful day here with plenty of sun and it's currently 42*. The sap is trying to run but trees need time to thaw before it will run good. I started out with 19" of vacuum and was able to fix some leaks and it's now at 25". I've still got to find about 2 more inches but the sap wasn't running good enough for that. It looks like it should run for most of the week. Hopefully it will good enough to find some leaks tomorrow.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Same here Russ. 40 and sunny most of the day. The trees are still frozen though. The releaser dumped twice I think... Hopefully it runs this week.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan85 View Post
    Same here Russ. 40 and sunny most of the day. The trees are still frozen though. The releaser dumped twice I think... Hopefully it runs this week.
    It looks like it should run this week. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow and Monday and it's not supposed to be as cold overnight tonight. I think my releaser might have dumped twice too.
    Russ

It was another beautiful day yesterday but the sap flow was still weak. I went out late yesterday afternoon in hopes of finding some leaks. Most of the trees in the section of woods that I really need to check still weren't giving a drop. It looks like things are finally starting to let loose and I should get some sap today.
    Russ

The sap finally started to run today and I collected 250 gallons tonight. Sap was coming into the releaser from all of the lines, even the cold woods which hadn't started running as of yesterday. The vacuum is holding at 25.5", hopefully it will stay there when things finally get completely thawed. I may be boiling Wednesday night if I can get enough sap tomorrow.
    Russ

I collected another 250 gallons of sap tonight. Slightly better than the previous 24 hours but not great. I'm planning to do my first boil tomorrow night. The vacuum is holding at 25.5", I'll take it!
    Russ

Well my first and second boils of the season are done. For the first boil I had 500 gallons of sap and never got a draw off. The temperature only got up to 3* over boiling. I didn't check it but there had to be almost no sugar in the first run. Normally with that much sap I would get the pans sweetened and have a 3 or 4 gallons of syrup in my finisher.

For the second boil I had 650 gallons of sap and now have 10 gallons of heavy syrup in my finisher and still need to correct the density. I couldn't do that because when I turned on the thermometer on my Accu Cup the battery was dead. My ph tester takes the same batteries and it was working so I tried the batteries out of that. The thermometer would only turn on then go dim and shut off. I really wanted to try out my new filter press too.

It's going to be cold this weekend then if the forecast is anywhere near correct the sap will start flowing again on Monday and continue through the week.

One week and one day until retirement!
    Russ

I hope you'll see the same thing I did. My season started out the same way then the dam broke and it was a flood. My season is over now and it was my best in 10 years. If things transfer North east you better get your rest now.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Keep our fingers crossed for next week Russ. Looks a little iffy on wether it freezes the first few nights next week.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast