+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2020

Thank you Brad. Sugaring season is going to be a lot more fun now, not that it wasn't before. The cancer isn't kicking my ***, the treatment is. I can deal with the side effects from that a lot easier when I'm not working.

I've got plenty to do here but can pick away at it and stop and rest when I need to. The first thing that I need to do before I stop working is clean out a space in my basement for my toolbox. That is, after I get my RO put back together. I'm going up to Lapierre to pick up a new high pressure pump this Saturday.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I went up to Swanton yesterday and picked up the new high pressure pump for my RO. I'll be installing and testing that today. If that all checks out the RO will be good to go and the sugar house will be ready. I'll be bringing my releaser down to the tank and setting that up too. The plan is to tap next weekend. If things go well I'll have the pans sweetened and some syrup made on or before Presidents Day weekend.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

The weather kind of sucked so I didn't tap yet. I'm tapping tomorrow and Monday If I don't get them all in tomorrow. I just worked my last Saturday today! Three more weeks and I'm retired.
    Russ

Congratulations on working your last Saturday Russ. Was just looking at the 7 day on NWS for my exact location and not very warm this week.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Thank you Bruce. It feels good to know that I don't have to work Saturdays anymore and in 2 weeks and 4 days I won't be punching in anymore either.

My helper and I put in about 500 taps today. We did all of the hard ones today and have a little over 200 to do tomorrow. Most of the trees were running this afternoon, even some of the big ones. The forecast doesn't look that great until next weekend but I should be able to pull in enough sap Tuesday and Wednesday to flush the lines.
    Russ

I'm now officially tapped in. I fixed some leaks that I found when I tapped and added a couple of new taps. I turned on the vacuum pump this afternoon, 19", I've got some work to do when the sap runs good enough to check for leaks.
    Russ

Hey Russ, Glad to hear you're sugaring another year. Good luck this season.

Congrats on being retired too! That'll make sugaring season a lot easier.

Thank you Josh and good luck to you too.

Yep one more season after this one and then I'm moving to NC.

When I'm finally not working anymore sugaring is going to be a lot more fun. Maybe I can go out visiting more.

Did you sell your Lapierre 250 or trade it in? I'm trying to get an idea about how much mine is worth. There's nothing for Lapierre 250 turbos in the classifieds or on craigslist.
    Russ

You realize you can't sugar in NC...right? It's a shame you're only going to get 1 season as a retiree. Sugaring should be a breeze this year.

I sold it, but I forget what I got for it. It was a while ago. I don't think there's much money in them because of the 300gph hobby machines are pretty cheap...sorry, cost effective.

Russ, I may be interested in that RO when you’re ready to sell it. Let me know if you don’t have others in mind already. And congrats on retirement, enjoy the time off!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast