+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Journal

Default January Journal

Happy New Year everybody! May 2020 be our best year yet.

I've made many repairs and improvements over the last 3 years including a new arch, a second tower on my RO machine and for this season a new 7" full stack filter press with an air operated diaphragm pump.

2017, 2018 and 2019 weren't the best years for me as far as prostate cancer is concerned but for 2020 there shouldn't be any surprises. If the treatment works the Dr said that I should be able to go 5 to 10 years without a recurrence.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Happy New Year’s Russ. Wishing you good luck on your cancer battle and hoping for a great sugar year.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Happy New Year to everyone also and best wishes Russ with the cancer.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Happy New Year Russ and to all maple producers, from a 2 year cancer survivor. I get a recheck PT scan in November, the last two showed no cancer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My sales were strong all year. I need to go get a few more cases of 1/2 gal jugs, I have syrup to pack and no 1/2 gal jugs, my biggest selling size for my regular maple syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Built a 2 handed tubing tool, a 12 volt RV water pump vacuum system in a cooler and have 1 tubing run set up. Still have a few that will be on gravity to install but were getting their. Looking forward to see if I get any improvement with gravity tubing verses sap sacks. Kind of over spent my budget this year getting ready.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Full on maple now. Will be in Syracuse this weekend for the maple conference. One out of three bushes are all tightened up and ready for tapping. Tanks are cleaned and releasers cleaned and greased. Won’t be long now. Have a questionable SP-22 going into the season which is a concern. Was shutting off periodically for no rhyme or reason end of last season. Pulled it over the summer and went over it but found nothing wrong. Will need to identify a back up if it craps out again

Happy New Year

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Posted on Chautauqua County, NY thread. Started a small vacuum line today. Will get the lines installed for a gravity line in the next few days I hope. Tubing tools that I built are working great. Wish I started using tubing sooner.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Great news Dave!

New sugar house is coming along. Hoping to finish it here before the season but am getting worried. Will be a lot of fun being in a new building and having a new RO. We are jumping from a 300gph to a 1200gph in anticipation of our expansion of 2500 taps for 2021. Should make boiling this year pretty darn short!
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps
    3rd Generation Sugar Maker with a Chocolate Lab named Acer

http://www.hardinghillfarm.com
    www.facebook.com/hardinghillfarmnh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast